Rosette Nebula | 5x1800s stacks of 30s QHY183C Moon&Skyglow Esprit80 f/5 AVX SC DSS PI PS | 20/01/2018 Minos K

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
mAnKiNd

Rosette Nebula | 5x1800s stacks of 30s QHY183C Moon&Skyglow Esprit80 f/5 AVX SC DSS PI PS | 20/01/2018 Minos K

Post by mAnKiNd »

Shot the Rosette Nebula last night, but I tried something different in SharpCap 3.1.4954.0, I acquired 5x30minute live stacks from 30s unguided exposures (74%) gain and then took those live stacks and stacked them in DSS for further SNR enhancement and sigma clipping of outliers. Very happy with the stars, nebulosity could have come out stronger with more data or a tighter filter. Finally got round to trying to stack stacks! Hope you like it :)

Robin, one thing that made things a bit tricky was that every time I manually saved the live stack, say at exactly 30 minutes, then if there was alread a live stack in the save folder with the same amount of exposures, then clicking save would overwrite the previous stack, instead of rename it and add something like (1) at the end of the file name. I lost a half hour stack this way, because I clicked save and it got overwritten...Any chance we can amend this to rename the save file if there is already an existing file in the folder with the same duration?

Cheers
Minos

https://www.astrobin.com/full/330099/0/?nc=user
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rosette Nebula | 5x1800s stacks of 30s QHY183C Moon&Skyglow Esprit80 f/5 AVX SC DSS PI PS | 20/01/2018 Minos K

Post by admin »

Hi Minos,

that looks very nice - well done!

The overwrite is not a good thing - I will do something about it (possibly just a 'overwrite yes/no' message). For now you can workaround by changing your filenaming configuration - if you get the '{Time}' tag anywhere in your live stack templates then the filenames will differ because they will include the time that the stack started (every time you reset the stack, the time should update).

cheers,

Robin
mAnKiNd

Re: Rosette Nebula | 5x1800s stacks of 30s QHY183C Moon&Skyglow Esprit80 f/5 AVX SC DSS PI PS | 20/01/2018 Minos K

Post by mAnKiNd »

Thanks buddy, all the best :)