Is this in focus?

Using SharpCap for other Astro Imaging such as all sky cameras and meteor detection
brenski

Is this in focus?

Post by brenski »

Would someone be kind enough to have a look and tell me if this allsky image is focused correctly?
is it sharp enough?

Zwo 178mc

admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this in focus?

Post by admin »

Hi,

all sky cameras can be tricky to focus - if you are using a glass/plastic dome then the curvature means that it introduces some errors to the focus, so the image can look sharply in focus with the dome off and then be a bit blurry with the dome on. It may not be a case of 'is this in focus'?, but more 'is this the best focus I can achieve'?

cheers,

Robin
brenski

Post by brenski »

thanks @robin

I have been trying to adjust focus with the dome off, however, as soon as it looks correct and I re-tighten the lens screw, the next capture looks "out". and that's BEFORE i reapply the dome!

i heard there was a trick to adjust focus more precisely, by first adjusting the actual lens collar from the camera, taping it down and then applying fine adjustment to the lens itself.

is there a quick and easy guide to how to do this?

thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't have any tricks to share - I did mine by length trial and error :( Maybe other all sky users have some suggestions.

cheers,

Robin