autoguide with synscan AZ

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
admin
Site Admin

Re: autoguide with synscan AZ

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have fixed a few small bugs in feature tracking in the latest build, but I don't think they are anything to do with this particular issue. There is some additional logging now (to a separate guiding log), but again I'm not sure that this will help - in the case of this problem the mount just seems to have a mind of its own and isn't doing what it is being asked to do!

Out of interest - have you had any success guiding this mount with software like PHD? If PHD works then at least I know it's possible. If PHD has problems then I think a solution would be off the table for the moment.

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

Unfortunaltely I have not found any way of guiding the Skywatcher Dob goto mount with AZ synscan so far.
PHD did not pass the test either, but all the apps require the mount to be EQ.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have a camera with an ST4 output port (QHY/ZWO/Altair)? If you have and your mount has a guiding port it may be worth trying that option instead - select 'On Camera ST4' from the list of mounts in the hardware options screen.

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

The Skywatcher 14" does not have an autoguide port, only the 18" Dob will support that.
I never tried to connect St4 cable to the serial port of the synscan, since the electronics might be permanently damaged.
I will keep using the AZ mount unguided with short exposures, I am having pretty good results with QHYCmos.
LaCasaCorp

Post by LaCasaCorp »

I have the same error with my skywatcher AZEQ5 (in equatorial configuration, controlled directly from eqmod with the USB cable). I use the autoguider port very often, and behaves correctly, but I receive the same error when trying to use the feature tracking (and, if I recall, the graph looks almost identical to the one in this thread)... I didn't saved screenshot, unfortunately
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you see the error again, please look in the folder

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\SharpCap\logs
for the GuidingLog file that corresponds to the problem (latest build creates these guiding log files - please make sure you are using that). Send me the log file and the screenshot and I can see if there is anything in it that explains the problem.

I have had success with the latest builds with an EQ6

cheers,

Robin
MikeHuerto

Post by MikeHuerto »

balliamo1 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 pm Any update about this issue?
I am wondering if this is a synscan driver problem, or something else.
Yes, it is a Synscan issue. The Synscan app does not respond to pulse commands in the reverse direction.

I've been communicating with the Skywatcher/SynScan folks in the UK trying to solve a similar problem. To cut a long story short, here's their latest email

SynScan app does respond to ASCOM's PulseGuide command in both RA and Dec direction. It's just that SynScan app applies some filtering: when app receives PulseGuide command on an axis AND that axis is already moving, app ensures that PulseGuide will not reverse the original direction. App will only speed up, slow down, or stop the axis.

So this would explain why I and others have not been able to complete the calibration steps in SharpCap and PHD (and why I cannot auto guide in Firecapture).

A possible solution might be to provide an option to include a STOP command before each RA/DEC calibration command? Is this doable Robin?

PS.I have asked them twice now if they can update the Synscan Software to accommodate reverse pulse commands. It does not appear to be a mechanical issue when I use the Synscan app to nudge the mount in any direction during planetary capture?
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I wonder if it would be enough to set the guide rate (if possible ) to less than sidereal rate. If it was set to say 0.75x sidereal then a reverse RA pulse guide would just slow the axis down to 0.25x sidereal, which might bypass the filter.

Any chance you can run an ASCOM conformance check on your ASCOM driver, which would reveal if it has that capability - the key lines in the output would be

15:17:52.278 CanSetGuideRates                  OK       True
and

15:18:01.322 GuideRateDeclination Read         OK       0.00
15:18:01.331 GuideRateDeclination Write        OK       Can write Declination Guide Rate OK
15:18:01.364 GuideRateRightAscension Read      OK       0.00
15:18:01.392 GuideRateRightAscension Write     OK       Can set RightAscension Guide OK
If both of those blocks look OK, then maybe that would be a workable approach.

cheers,

Robin
MikeHuerto

Post by MikeHuerto »

Hi Robin

All looks good. Here is summary of the relevant blocks. I´ve also attached the complete log in case you see anything there.

I assume this means that you would program in the reduced sidereal rate, or is just about me playing with the existing guiding rate option. I did try various speed settings, though can't recall which rates exactly. I´d be happy to test a pre-beta update of this. This would be a game changer for me and many ASCOM synscan app driver users!

Best

Mike

10:19:15.653 CanFindHome OK True
10:19:15.662 CanPark OK True
10:19:15.669 CanPulseGuide OK True
10:19:15.676 CanSetDeclinationRate OK True
10:19:15.685 CanSetGuideRates OK True

10:19:24.975 GuideRateDeclination Read OK 0.00
10:19:24.986 GuideRateDeclination Write OK Can write Declination Guide Rate OK
10:19:25.037 GuideRateRightAscension Read OK 0.00
10:19:25.049 GuideRateRightAscension Write OK Can set RightAscension Guide OK
Attachments
Conform 1017.01686.txt
(26.27 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

unless there is a setting in your ASCOM driver setup window to set the pulse guide rates then this would be something I would need to add to SharpCap - a way to specify what rate to use for pulse guiding operations (probably in the settings). It might be best to test first - I will try to think of a quick and easy way to allow you to set the rate to see if it solves the problem.

cheers,

Robin