live stack through remote desktop

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Broz

live stack through remote desktop

Post by Broz »

I'm considering using remote desktop to remote into a NUC (thanks Robin!) running SC. Does anyone have any experience whether WiFi speeds are sufficient for live stacking display? Also wondering what processor speeds and memory requirements are for good live stacking. Thanks,
Broz
oopfan

Re: live stack through remote desktop

Post by oopfan »

Broz,

How many obstacles will there be between you and the NUC, over what distance? Using "g' WiFi, my signal is traveling approximately 150 feet through an exterior wall and an interior wall. The signal strength meter on my laptop measures around 25%. I have no problems with screen refresh, however, sometimes I move to another room when I am downloading several GB of data at the end of the session for a faster download.

Brian
Broz

Post by Broz »

Literally no distance or obstacles. Just from a NUC mounted on the scope and running SC to a laptop in the same roro shed. This is just to reduce the cable issues to the laptop which is also connected to a large tv monitor. I' was just thinking about the remote desktop lags I've had using my laptop on my home wifi to remote desktop into work. Of course there are many potential sources of lags there. Thanks,
John
Noah4x4

Post by Noah4x4 »

I do this with my ASI ZWO ASI294 or Atik Horizon in an end to end 4k UHD system outputting to a 4K UHD monitor indoors. It was challenging to make it all work, but here are some tips. ...
1/
I use an Intel 8i7 NUC with 16Gb RAM at the scope running SharpCap, CPWI, my focusser software etc. Do not underestimate the computing power required. Live stacking extreme short exposures output from large sensor, high resolution cameras is surprisingly demanding. To then achieve this in 4K UHD resolutions (which is wonderful), both indoor and outdoor computer must have a suitable graphics card. But 1080p HD is fine too.
2/
I use Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop and (via Group Profiles) disable RemoteFX Compression which artificially strangles data flow. It is implemented to prevent a user choking a commercial network, but on your home network it isn't needed. Other alternatives like TeamViewer have many drawbacks and lesser control. You only need Windows 10 Pro on the scope computer that runs 'headless'.
3/
Be prepared for the unexpected with WiFi. My router is indoors and I belatedly discovered my house is insulated with plasterboard lined with metal foil, which acts like a Faraday Cage.. To extend my network WiFi signal to my outdoor observatory I had to put a series of MESH extenders in line of sight. You might also consider alternatives such as a travel router. Frankly, I would first get RDP working over Cat6 Ethernet cable to iron out computing 'bugs'. Then when working switch RDP from LAN to WAN. Devising your system one step at a time has a lot of merit as regards diagnostics.
4/
Use the 5Ghz WiFi channel if you have dual band. The 2.4Ghz channel in urban areas is too cluttered and close proximity to USB3 can also cause interference. "Lost packets" are your enemy. However, one joy of the route described is if you lose connection all you need to do is reconnect via RDP. All your software will still be running fine at your scope. Your computer indoors is acting merely as a 'dumb terminal' replicating your screen. Even so, if migrating double digit megapixel screen data you need decent bandwith and reasonable computing power. There I use the 6i5 NUC that was too underpowered at the scope.

Computing power is the primary consideration. If simply capturing data for later post processing demands are much less, notably at 1080p resolutions. But if you buy a large sensor CMOS like mine, err on the side of caution. Sharpcap is brilliant in this set up because it integrates seamlessly with my MKIT20 Microfocuser focus controller, CPWI and Platesolving (AstroTortilla). Lastly, I tend to use Hyperstar as EAA observing at f/2 is just awesome, as close to near live as it gets as photon capture is so fast.

Hope this helps.