32 or 64 Bit?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
sandconp

32 or 64 Bit?

Post by sandconp »

I am running Windows 10 and I never know which version of Sharpcap Pro I should be running. I have been running the 32 bit version for a couple of year and it works fine but just wondering if there is an advantage of running the 64 bit version?
admin
Site Admin

Re: 32 or 64 Bit?

Post by admin »

Hi,

really, the 64 bit version comes into its own if you are using high resolution cameras (15 to 20 megapixels or more) and are running live stacking. If you do that in the 32 bit version you may find you run into out of memory errors (particularly if you activate some of the advanced features in the live stacking options). If you do find that sort of problem happening, switch to the 64-bit version and everything should be fine.

On the flipside, the 64 bit version doesn't work on some older CPUs (or even on some fairly modern CPUs that come from the cheap and low power in of the Intel range). If your CPU isn't fully supported then you will get a warning every time you run the 64-bit version, and probably a crash if you ignore the warning and try to use certain features.

Cheers, Robin
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Robin,
Bit of a late reply to this one but for info I have the ASI2600 so have to use the 64bit version I can confirm that I had to change the PC as the I7 I had did not support AVX2 I could open Sharpcap and would get the warning you say about and the moment you tried to open the camera it would crash.

So SharpCap is value for Money, buying the new laptop not so much :D

Cheers
Nick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Nick,

ah, yes, fair point :)

Hopefully the new PC will be much faster and therefore worthwhile... I just had to upgrade my observatory PC as it kept freezing on me when I was trying to live stream an observing session for the local Scout pack... There's only so far you can push a PC that is nearly 10 years old.

cheers,

Robin