autoguide with synscan AZ

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
balliamo1

autoguide with synscan AZ

Post by balliamo1 »

Can we autoguide with Sahrpcap and Altazimutal mounts?
admin
Site Admin

Re: autoguide with synscan AZ

Post by admin »

In theory it should work - I tested with a Celestron SE mount (although I did not test while tracking). Please post the SharpCap log and details of any error and I will see if I can work out what is going on.

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

ok, I try tonight with Dob sync AZ.
my concern is that field rotation require multiple guide calibrations
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

in the end, field rotation would mean that you would need to recalibrate, but I think up to about 20 degrees of rotation will be fine. Getting to 20 degrees will take quite a long time unless you are imaging near the zenith.

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

I am trying autoguiding, but calibration failed with message" failed due to inconsistent angles from 0 axis movement (127 and 0.91)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that message means that the directions that the image moved don't make sense to the program - for instance when it moved the mount Alt+ and Alt- the image didn't move in opposite directions.

Please can you post the full log after the problem has happened and screenshots that show the movement and scatter graphs and the error message (a good scatter graph should have four lines going in directions at right angles to each other)

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

I have taken some print screen of the feature tracking log when trying to calibrate autoguide with my Synscan Dob goto and Skywatcher ASCOM driver.
the calibration failes every time. I have nevr fixed this issue with AltAZ mounts.
Attachments
Cattura2.PNG
Cattura2.PNG (18.84 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Cattura3.PNG
Cattura3.PNG (21.91 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Cattura4.PNG
Cattura4.PNG (20.02 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, those graphs are very helpful in letting me see what is going wrong (not sure what the cause is yet, but one thing at a time!)

What is happening is that the image is appearing to move in pretty much the same direction when SharpCap moves the mount both positive and negative in the AZ direction. This isn't good - SharpCap needs the image to move in opposite directions when it moves the mount in opposite directions, otherwise it can't guide!

The AZ- trace looks pretty much how I would expect it, but the AZ+ one moves off very quickly for very small mount movements, which is a surprise.

I presume that the mount was tracking before you started the attempt to guide? Did it continue to track reasonably during the calibration (other than offsets due to guiding commands) or did the tracking stop or not work correctly? Did the mount seem to respond in the same way to guiding in both the AZ+ and AZ- directions?

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

the mount kept tracking during calibration, but the az* and az- appeared to move at different speed.
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

Any update about this issue?
I am wondering if this is a synscan driver problem, or something else.