ORION NEBULA-the difference is in processing. Which one do you prefer?

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
RickBG

ORION NEBULA-the difference is in processing. Which one do you prefer?

Post by RickBG »

Orion Nebula, using the same data as the previous one posted two days ago (17 minutes of exposure) and then I reprocessed it for a second time in PhotoShop. It appears to me the photo degrades somewhat when it is converted from a fits file to a jpeg, which is to be expected. Nevertheless, which photo do you like best, this one or the prior one? Processing is definitely an art and takes time to master but the rewards are priceless. At this beginner stage, I'm sure if I was to reprocess it again it will look very different. I find processing planets are easier than deep sky objects which are more demanding and challenging but well worth the effort. I am still waiting for better weather to take the exposure up to one hour giving me more data to work with.
Last edited by RickBG on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ORION NEBULA-the difference is in processing. Which one do you prefer?

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

difficult to judge because the two images are different sizes and in different threads (so hard to see side-by-side). I think I prefer this one, but that may just be because it's the larger of the two images and therefore easier to see the detail.

Cheers, Robin
turfpit

Re: ORION NEBULA-the difference is in processing. Which one do you prefer?

Post by turfpit »

Rick

You could use Windows Snip tool and paste both versions into Paint for a side-by-side comparison.

Your image will degrade when converted to JPG as that format is 8-bit. When processing try to keep to 16-bit format (FITS, TIFF). JPG is the last step to reduce size for posting to the web. More info here https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Camera%20Basics

I have found re-processing images after a year or so (as knowledge increases) can bring about improved results. Have a look at my M42 Chronicles viewtopic.php?f=16&t=596 . Towards the end I have some side-by-side comparisons which are over a year apart.

Dave