Feature tracking AZ GTi

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
festoon

Feature tracking AZ GTi

Post by festoon »

Hi Robin,
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get feature tracking working with my mount (AZ GTi in AltAz mode). I thought I'd please ask for your (or the community) help to resolve.
Firstly, I can control the mount fine using the SynScanMobile Telescope ASCOM driver.
Whenever I try to use the Feature Tracking function using a field of stars I do not get past calibration. I have tried to follow the suggestions you give in your documentation but still cannot resolve the problem. (I'm doing EAA observing at a focal length of 412mm and hoping to track objects using the feature).
Attached is the log files for the calibration - hopefully that will help identify if anything is really wrong.
Log_2020-04-04T21_09_00-10060.log
(798.42 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Log_2020-04-04T21_09_00-10060.log
(798.42 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
If you require any more info please do let me know.
Best regards,
Colin
Attachments
GuidingLog_2020-04-04T22_21_44-10060.log
(34.36 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature tracking AZ GTi

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the fundamental problem here is that the feature tracking was never really meant to track a field of stars – it's aimed at tracking lunar or solar images where there is a detail on the surface that it can identify and follow. I'm actually quite surprised that its managing to have what looks like a decent attempt at calibrating based on the star field.

Looking at the calibration data in the log files, it seems that the movement in the image is proportionally much faster when the mount is moved in the X positive direction compared to when it is moved in the X negative direction – for instance it takes an X movement of 6.5 to move about 40 pixels in the positive direction an X movement of 24 to move about 50 pixels in the negative direction. This is enough to make SharpCap abandon the attempt to calibrate since it expects the movement speed to be the same in both directions. I wonder if the problem here is either if your mount is not tracking, or if perhaps every time SharpCap asks it to move it pauses tracking briefly meaning that every move request will lead to a certain amount of drift in a consistent direction.

Cheers, Robin
festoon

Post by festoon »

Thanks Robin,
The mount was tracking before I initiated the calibration for feature tracking. And the drift idea is an interesting one. I wonder if there is any way of testing which/what the issue is?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The simplest thing would just be to watch the screen as SharpCap is moving the mount around – SharpCap requests the same movement rate in each direction, but may be the mount is urging to do that. It should be fairly obvious from the rate at which the stars drift in the image – if that is not roughly the same in both directions then SharpCap is not going to be accepting the calibration is good.

Cheers, Robin
laiapv

Post by laiapv »

Hi
I have also given a try to test Feature tracking with a single star in a Altz mount (Evolution mount connected via CPWI). My aim was to re-center the star so I can make the tool work to take pics with DLSR without guiding. The movement of star is quite fast in the image, so not sure if it will work.
So far, I get to monitor and click in alignment, but after few seconds an error message appears: Feature tracking lock lost - please restart tracking.
What this means?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the code looks for 'key features' in the image and tracks their movement - this doesn't really work very well on stars - it's really better on things like planetary features, craters, etc. The message you are seeing indicates that SharpCap is no longer able to track movement because the features it started out following in the image can no longer be found in the new frames.

cheers,

Robin