PIPP debayered fits, which chan. is which?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
sarg314

PIPP debayered fits, which chan. is which?

Post by sarg314 »

I have had no problem using PIPP to debayer fits files captured by my ZWO ASI294MC P camera. It gives me a FITS file with 3 channels/images (RGB) as expected, which I can fiddle around with using FITS liberator, so the FITS file is good. But I can't find any indication (from PIPP I guess) of which channel is which. I'm guessing #1 is Red, #2 is green #3 is blue. Can any one confirm that for me?

(Why doesn't sharpcap offer the option of saving the files in debayered form ? )

Thanks for any info.
admin
Site Admin

Re: PIPP debayered fits, which chan. is which?

Post by admin »

Hi,

an experimental approach is probably the easiest here – take an image with a red torch shining into the telescope or onto the sensor and then you know that in the output the red channel far brighter than the blue channel. Since the result is certainly going to either be red, green, blue or alternatively blue, green, red, the torch test will easily tell between these two possibilities. This is roughly what I do when I need to work out the Bayer pattern of a sensor where I don't have documentation for it :-)

As to writing out raw files in a debayered format – strangely this is the first time anyone's asked for it. I think that most of the time people who are capturing in raw format are planning to post process and usually have tools that will deal with the debayering and have a multitude of possible algorithms for that function.

Cheers, Robin
sarg314

Post by sarg314 »

Yes, I was thinking of an empirical approach too.
I'll post it if I figure it out.
Thanks.
sarg314

Post by sarg314 »

If I capture a FITS file and want to view it immediately with fits liberator, it needs to be debayered. Do I have to do that with PIPP or is there some other way?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think you would have to use some alternative other program if you wanted to avoid PIPP. As far as I know there's no way to make FITSLiberator do the debayering. I suspect that there are alternative fits viewers that will do that for you automatically – although I must admit I've not got any specific suggestions.

Of course you can open the RAW fits files in FITSLiberator if you really want to – you will just see a monochrome image with the typical grid brightness pattern of a RAW colour image superimposed on it.

Cheers, Robin