gain greyed out

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
andyw

gain greyed out

Post by andyw »

i was wondering if you can help/advise me i have got sharpcap pro so i can use the polar alignment facility and the look at doing platesolving, i have a webcam and a sv105, when i put the sv105 on the finderscope i cannot achieve focus looks like it needs to go back further ,if i put it on the scope i can get a nice picture. wwhen i put the webcam on the finderscope i get a nice sharp image but the gain is not on the control panel and when i goto the settings its greyed out, it is on the cntrol panal when i connect the sv105 to sharpcap, is there a way to overcome these problems.
thank you andy
admin
Site Admin

Re: gain greyed out

Post by admin »

Hi Andy,

if the SV 105 needs to go further back to achieve focus then you could try firstly not pushing it all the way home into the 1.25" eyepiece holder. If that doesn't get the camera far enough back then the next thing is to consider buying a 1.25" extension tube. Make sure that you really do need to move the camera further back before you start spending money though – if instead you need to move the camera further forward then you are out of luck unfortunately :-(

I am guessing that the WebCam that you have is a different model/brand to the SV 105. Unfortunately the controls that you get made available on a WebCam are determined by the manufacturers of the camera – what shows up in SharpCap and in the settings dialogue just mirrors what the manufacturers have decided to make available. Some cameras have automatic gain that you can't influence at all, others have no control of it whatsoever and I've seen a few where the brightness control actually seems to affect the gain (the image gets noisier when you turn the brightness up).

Cheers, Robin
andyw

Post by andyw »

Thank you robin. I have tried the sv105 as far back as I can just needs to be a little further back. It's a big help with the webcam at least I know now it's not something I'm doing.
andyw

Post by andyw »

On more quick question, hopefully not as silly as it sounds in my head.is it possible to polar align through the scope instead of the finder scope it's a skywatcher 150 p reflector
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

in theory yes, but you would need a camera with a much bigger sensor to do that. Given the cameras that you have and the 150P, the field of view (the area of the sky you can see through the camera) would be far too small for the polar alignment to work.

cheers,

Robin
andyw

Post by andyw »

Thank you.