The Baby Dumbbell Nebula HU 1-2 / First light LX200 8" ACF

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

The Baby Dumbbell Nebula HU 1-2 / First light LX200 8" ACF

Post by Menno555 »

The Baby Dumbbell Nebula HU 1-2

A few weeks ago I discovered ... well okay, I did read about the Dumbbell Nebula and that there are 2 other "Dumbbells": the Little Dumbbell (M76) .... and the Baby Dumbbell (Hu 1-2 , PN G086.5-08.8, PK 086-08.1, ARO 89).
This one is almost never captured, it has no NGC or IC number so it's not on the listings that a lot of people check. So of course had to try it (I am a sucker for underdogs) with first light of my Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA.
Also a challenge because my Zwo ASI294MC Pro is send to Zwo to check, so I did this with the ASI385MC which has no cooling and a way smaller FOV. This capture is uncropped 13.7 x 7.76 arcmin and has 0.425 arcsec/pixel.
Collimation of the LX200 was just great: only had to do 2 tiny adjustments. Still obvious room for improvement but I just had to do this first light because: clear skies :) Because of that, the stars are in focus but big.
And the scope really is an improvement over the LX65 8" ACF: focussing is better, of course the mirror lock is cool and the optics are even better from what I can see now with the ASI385MC.

The Baby Dumbbell Nebula is a planetary nebula, it is fairly bright (mag 7 core and mag 12 arms) and rather easy to find as a small blob with a 6" scope or bigger in Cygnus. The sort of X-shape is clear to be seen but it has almost no color.
The inner part is 15 arcsec and with the arms it's around 25 arcsecs. The structure itself has a kind of fuzzy cloud-like appearance, but this is only visible with a > 20" scope or the HST. It is at 9900 light years and was discovered in 1920.

The Netherlands, Bortle 7/8
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC mount (no guiding)
Baader Neodymium SkyGlow filter
Zwo ASI385MC camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro
100 x 60 sec / Gain 90 / Offset 15 / White balance R50/B50
Manual dithering

Stacked in DeepSkyStacker 100 lights + 28 darks + 100 flats + 100 dark flats

Processed in Photoshop
Levels, curves, color saturation, reduce noise.

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Baby Dumbbell Nebula HU 1-2 / First light LX200 8" ACF

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

a great image for first light from a new telescope. I'm intrigued by the very slight hexagonal spikes on the stars – I wouldn't have expected that from an SCT. I wonder where that's coming from?

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Robin!
And the spikes really are there because of the processing I think. The LX65 had the same. Visually there are no spikes what so ever.
Also, the combination scope / camera is rather high in the oversampling scale: with OK seeing the ideal would be between 0.67 - 2 "/pixel but this combo gives 0.38 "/pixel.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, gotcha - I have seen similar mini spikes on a refractor where the (stupid) design of the lens mount sticks out by just 1mm or so into the active area of the objective at 3 points. Whoever spoilt a perfectly good scope with that design blunder is a true Homer Simpson amongs Vixen employees...

cheers,

Robin