M33 Triangulum Galaxy (reprocessed)

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

This is the same dataset as viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3183 but now I used SiriL for a great deal for processing.
Especially the Photometric Color Calibration made a huge difference: this is done with data from Simbad and NOMAD and it calibrates the capture on the basis of the star colors. This means that the initial FITS data has to (close to) "real life" colors. I tried it with narrowband images from the Pelican Nebula and there it went kinda haywire (or I used it wrong 😊)

As you can see (I did place a pic-in-pic in the upper right) it makes rather a difference. With normal background color calibration in Siril and Photoshop, it will give mostly red and blue. The Photometric color calibration brings out way more color (= detail). At first I thought it made the colors up but it's really just data that's in the FITS itself.

Another fun thing here is that my exposure time of 60 seconds was enough to bring the core and dust forward but it was too short to really capture the small bright blue stars in the arms, it's just a kind of haze.

The full res 4000px looks kind rough but still good enough IMO. Tried to reduce noise more but that just looks ugly, not "real".
See https://i.imgur.com/AJJR8sQ.jpg for the full resolution.

The Netherlands, Bortle 7/8
17 + 18 September 2020
Meade LX65 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC mount (no guiding)
Baader Neodymium SkyGlow filter
Zwo ASI294MC Pro camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro
127 x 60 sec @ -20 degrees Celsius / Gain 120 / Offset 4 / White balance R50/B50

Stacked in DeepSkyStacker 127 lights + 40 darks + 100 flats + 100 dark flats

Processed in Siril and Photoshop
SiriL: background extraction, banding reduction (horizontal), photometric color calibration and histogram transformation.
Photoshop: Levels, Curves, Astronomy Tools actions: Less Crunchy More Fuzzy, noise reduction.

turfpit

Re: M33 Triangulum Galaxy (reprocessed)

Post by turfpit »

Menno

An obvious improvement. Thanks for the Siril info. I have always gone back and re-processed old data as new knowledge emerges. For denoise, I have been using Neat Image https://ni.neatvideo.com/?s=rsl19366 which has a trial version (limited to processing JPGs). With a few mouse clicks I can get this improvement:

Neat-Image-denoise-comparison.JPG
Neat-Image-denoise-comparison.JPG (59.22 KiB) Viewed 820 times

I paid for the full version after that.

Dave
Menno555

Re: M33 Triangulum Galaxy (reprocessed)

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Dave, I will check it out!