GPCAM3 178M keeps disconnecting

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
Lulubell

GPCAM3 178M keeps disconnecting

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
I'm running SharpCap Pro on a PC with the 178M but annoyingly it keeps disconnecting. It happens at random intervals but also tends to disconnect when I change a parameter. I've tried obvious things like different cables and usb ports but the problem persists. My usb ports are set not to go to sleep and all other connections - mount and guide cam - are fine. I've also tried disabling anti-virus software (Norton) and disconnecting from the internet. I run the frame rate low as I'm just using it for dso. I've run out of ideas! I was wondering if this is a known problem? Am I missing something? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Louise
turfpit

Re: GPCAM3 178M keeps disconnecting

Post by turfpit »

Louise
all other connections - mount and guide cam - are fine
To get to the bottom of this problem it will be best to start off with the simplest possible configuration:

PC/laptop -> USB cable -> camera
  • no USB hubs
  • no USB connection other than the 178M
  • use the cable supplied with the camera
  • direct connection from camera to capture PC
  • try an alternate (short - < 2m) cable for the camera
If the 178M works with the simplest possible configuration, then gradually introduce other components and test.

If you have access to another PC/laptop then try the camera on that using the same version of SharpCap.
I've also tried disabling anti-virus software (Norton)
Disabling AV software can leave underlying components still running in Windows. The only way to ensure this is not the issue is to uninstall the AV software and restart Windows.

Dave
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

Thanks, Dave. I think I might have solved the problem with an Altair driver update... Dunno why I didn't do it before - d'oh. Altair doesn't make it easy to download drivers... Anyway, there's a chance I might be able to check it later :)
Cheers
Louise
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Louise,

also make sure you have the latest version of SharpCap – I get fairly frequent updates from Altair that fix any bugs that have been found in the camera software, so worth being up-to-date to make sure you take advantage of those.

I know the Altair have had some problems with their download site being flagged incorrectly as having malicious software on it – sometimes this can happen for a specific antivirus program and that's not too bad because most antivirus companies have a procedure for disputing the problem. Unfortunately it was Google that flagged their site as malicious, and Google are notoriously bad at responding to this sort of problem :(

Robin
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the problem :( Sometimes it flags an error message/exception, sometimes it just disconnects. I did save one of the error messages - I'll post it tomorrow. Next time I'll try it with a different computer - I'll have to set it up with the Altair driver first.
Louise
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

I had 3 errors last night that I saved. I don't know how to attach zip files but here is part of text:

-<SerializableException xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
-<Data>
<Category>Camera</Category>
<SubCategory>Altair Cameras</SubCategory>
<Device>ALTAIR178M3</Device>
</Data>
-<ExtendedInformation>
<ObjectName/>
<HResult>-2146232798</HResult>
</ExtendedInformation>
<Message>Safe handle has been closed</Message>
<Source>mscorlib</Source>
<StackTrace> at System.Runtime.InteropServices.SafeHandle.DangerousAddRef(Boolean& success)at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.SafeHandleAddRef(SafeHandle pHandle, Boolean& success)at Microsoft.Win32.Win32Native.SetEvent(SafeWaitHandle handle)at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Set()at SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.GrabThreadProc() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.Base\CameraProxyBase.cs:line 481at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</StackTrace>
<TargetSite>Void DangerousAddRef(Boolean ByRef) @ System.Runtime.InteropServices.SafeHandle</TargetSite>
<Type>System.ObjectDisposedException</Type>
</SerializableException>

<BugId>#14199</BugId>
<CLRVersion>4.0.30319.42000</CLRVersion>
<DateTime>09/26/2020 20:28:42</DateTime>
<ExceptionMessage>Safe handle has been closed</ExceptionMessage>
<ExceptionType>System.ObjectDisposedException</ExceptionType>
<HostApplication>SharpCap.exe</HostApplication>
<HostApplicationVersion>3.2.6433.0</HostApplicationVersion>
<NBugVersion>1.2.5.0</NBugVersion>
<TargetSite>Void DangerousAddRef(Boolean ByRef) @ System.Runtime.InteropServices.SafeHandle</TargetSite>
<UserDescription/>
<InstallationId>a50f71a3-1497-44ac-bfc2-1e1480437264</InstallationId>

-<SerializableException xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
-<Data>
</Data>
-<ExtendedInformation>
<ObjectName/>
</ExtendedInformation>
<StackTrace> at System.Runtime.InteropServices.SafeHandle.DangerousAddRef(Boolean& success)at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.SafeHandleAddRef(SafeHandle pHandle, Boolean& success)at Microsoft.Win32.Win32Native.SetEvent(SafeWaitHandle handle)at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Set()at SharpCap.Base.CameraProxyBase.GrabThreadProc() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.Base\CameraProxyBase.cs:line 481at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</StackTrace>
</SerializableException>

<BugId>#36130</BugId>
<DateTime>09/26/2020 20:31:41</DateTime>
<ExceptionMessage>Safe handle has been closed</ExceptionMessage>
<ExceptionType>System.ObjectDisposedException</ExceptionType>
<UserDescription>Loading profile</UserDescription>

-<Data>
</Data>
-<ExtendedInformation>
<ObjectName/>
</ExtendedInformation>
</SerializableException>

<BugId>#13223</BugId>
<DateTime>09/26/2020 20:31:39</DateTime>
<ExceptionMessage>Can only perform this operation on the selected camera</ExceptionMessage>
<ExceptionType>System.InvalidOperationException</ExceptionType>
<TargetSite>SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider GetImpl() @ SharpCap.Models.Camera</TargetSite>
<UserDescription/>

Not sure if above is sufficient for a diagnosis? I'm running an up-to-date Windows 10 Pro on an intel i5-2500k processor (3.3GHz), 16GB ram and a Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb ssd.

Louise
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Louise,

I think that the underlying cause is that the camera is disconnecting – sometimes SharpCap notices this and can show you a disconnected message, sometimes it happens at just the wrong point in time and leads to a crash report being generated.

If you are getting frequent disconnections (which seems likely) then the first thing to do is to try some of the steps mentioned in the USB troubleshooting page here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349&p=1556#p1556 . The first thing to do is to go back to basics with a single short cable connecting the camera to the computer – no hubs, no extensions – and see if you can use the camera without any errors in that configuration. You can also try turning down the USB speed setting to minimum as that tends to increase stability.

Hope this is helpful, Robin