Object Name cannot be added/changed once stack has started

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
mikenoname

Object Name cannot be added/changed once stack has started

Post by mikenoname »

My apologies if this is an intended behavior change and not a bug, but I can't find any threads on this or an indication in the user manual that anything should have changed, but in the latest update of SC you can no longer add or change the Object Name field while a stack is in progress. You could in every other version I have used to date.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Object Name cannot be added/changed once stack has started

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's mostly deliberate – I was working on some other code relating to object naming and ended up looking at the code that allowed you to change the name after the stacking and started and found that in most cases it wouldn't have worked properly :( Then I looked back over the history of that code and found that it hadn't been working properly for a very long time. From that I assume that it was really unused because nobody had reported the failures and the easiest thing to do seem to be to take it away.

Did you actually have it working properly for you in previous versions of SharpCap?

Cheers, Robin
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

Robin,

Not only did it work without fail for me for the last year and a half that I have been using SC Pro, but in watching broadcasts of others using SC Pro, it worked fine for them too. Hopefully others will chime in on this thread as well, but I never heard anyone complain about issues with it.

It's not a big deal. I just have to break the old habit. Right now I'm having to stop and restart about 50% of my stacks to get the proper name in beforehand, but I'm getting better. If there's a good reason for it, then I guess we should change and not the software.

Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

I've jotted down the desire to get this working again on my to-do list. It least I can look back at the old code that used to handle it and see if I can reuse some of that.

Cheers, Robin
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

if I'm the only one complaining about it, are you sure it's worth the effort? It's simply a matter of a behavior change on my part if you wish to keep it as is.

I guess the most sensible question is, what is best for SharpCap in the long run?
donstim

Post by donstim »

Three have been several threads on this topic. See, for example, viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2958,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2744, and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2579&start=10.

I agree with Mike, but apparently this did not always work for everyone else.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes unfortunately there was bit of a mess over the updating of the object name depending on all sorts of factors from what order you did things to what you did after you are typed in the box. This is now fixed in 3.2, although without the ability to rename the live stack any more.

In SharpCap 3.3 large chunks of the code have been replaced – the new code is simpler so hopefully shouldn't hide any new issues, but you never know. I must admit to liking the idea of being able to rename the live stack while it is in progress as I frequently forget to update it first, so I'm happy to try to replace it when I get some time to focus on it.

Cheers,
donstim

Post by donstim »

admin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 pm I must admit to liking the idea of being able to rename the live stack while it is in progress as I frequently forget to update it first, so I'm happy to try to replace it when I get some time to focus on it.

Cheers,
Exactly! :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

this feature now exists again in SharpCap 4.0 (4.0.7483) - https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... s/4-0-beta

If you change the name of the target after the stacking has started then either

*) If you have not saved any files yet, the name will be updated and all saved files will use the new name

or

*) If you have already saved any files (including raw frames), you will be prompted to ask if you want to rename the stack and the files that have been saved already. If you respond 'Yes' then SharpCap will move all the files saved in this stack so far to new names/new folders to reflect the new target name.

This works on a 'find-and-replace' of the old target name with the new one in the file/folder names - if you start off with the target set to 'a' and then rename it to 'M42_mono' you may get more changes than you expect!

cheers,

Robin