ASTAP down-sampling setting in command-line

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
han59

ASTAP down-sampling setting in command-line

Post by han59 »

SharpCap executed ASTAP with a command line specifying down-sampling is automatic. This is in 99.5% of the cases correct. Recently I had an exchange with a user which required down-sampling 3.

http://nova.astrometry.net/status/3800274

There is no option to set the down-sampling of ASTAP in SharpCap. Easiest way would be to remove the down-sampling command from the command-line. The user can then set down-sampling in ASTAP. So would suggest to remove -z 0 from the command-line:

CMDLINE="c:\Program Files\Astap\Astap.exe" -f C:\Users\h\AppData\Local\Temp\c478c954-d352-4c92-a346-2cbbd13040d9\frame.png -ra 18.733 -spd 83.063 -r 15.000 -z 0 -log

Other options are allowing to set the down-sampling in SharpCap or to use the ASTAP -debug option to call up the ASTAP settings. See http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm#astap_command_line

Han
mikenoname

Re: ASTAP down-sampling setting in command-line

Post by mikenoname »

+1

And thank you, Robin!

Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion – I have been doing some work on communication with plate solving applications recently and have more planned for SharpCap 3.3 (although perhaps not straightaway).

I think that overall the best thing to do would be for there to be away for the user to specify additional parameters for both Astap and Astrometry.Net -based plate solving applications, otherwise you can easily end up with a large number of disconnected options to enable or disable this flag with the plate solving application. The only complexity that I can see is spotting if a parameter is set in the user provided option and if it is then removing any SharpCap default value for that parameter.

Cheers, Robin
han59

Post by han59 »

admin wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:07 pm I think that overall the best thing to do would be for there to be away for the user to specify additional parameters for both Astap and Astrometry.Net -based plate solving applications

removing any SharpCap default value for that parameter.
Yes an edit box allowing additional commands is a good universal solution.

If the default option is specified in the edit box (rather then hidden somewhere else) then there is no problem. So for ASTAP you fill the edit box with -z 0

Cheers, Han
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Han,

good thinking on the default being in the edit box :-) I will probably make sure there is a 'reset to default' button so that people who make changes can always get back.

Cheers, Robin