Histogram controls

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Avocette

Histogram controls

Post by Avocette »

I have recently discovered that the controls of the Live Stacking histogram are very powerful and and especially offer impressive fine control of the RGB sliders. The Auto stretch and Auto colour balance usually provide a good starting point for some tweaking but this tweaking often makes a very quick and acceptable result (and often to my tired, late night eye, an impressive image) which I instantly save. A very small amount of touching up in my case in MS Paint to convert .png to .jpg and then an edit in Picasa 3.5 (Google EOL but still available) and I have something to circulate to friends and family without waiting for tomorrow and a few hours of DSS, APP, PI, Astrotools etc.
These fine tweaks don't seem to be available in the Display histogram, and don't work on the Live Stack histogram when there is only one image file displayed. Am I missing something here or is there a workaround that could let me use the same colour tweaks on a single .fits image?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Histogram controls

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm presuming here that you are using the folder monitor camera to try to perform these tweaks – there seem to be some glitches when there is only a single file for it to work on. I think you will work around this by putting two copies of your image file into a folder which should let you then adjust the 'stacked' image from the folder monitor camera.

Hope that helps, Robin
Avocette

Re: Histogram controls

Post by Avocette »

You are quite right - I had thought to try a two identical copy stack earlier on, however it seems I was/am trying to work with a 32 bit .fits file rather than 16 bit and it didn't work. However, following your post I tried the stack of two copy images of a 16 bit .fits file and that did provide the workaround, thanks.