Asteroid (23129)

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Astro_Hoff

Asteroid (23129)

Post by Astro_Hoff »

So I noticed something a little unusual on my live stack at the end of a 2hr imaging session capturing NGC 253. Upon further investigation it turns out to be Asteroid (23129). My fist asteroid capture. Without using the live stacking feature I most likely never would have spotted this. It pays to check ALL your image.

William Optics Zenithstar 73
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro
ZWO 1600MM Pro

Also small video here ( unfortunately facebook compression ruins it a bit)
https://www.facebook.com/leigh.hassell. ... =3&theater
donstim

Re: Asteroid (23129)

Post by donstim »

Nice shot of 253. Looks like you got a satellite trail, too. Are you using sigma stacking?
timh

Post by timh »

That is really interesting -and something that would normally be missed. The question from donstim made me wonder whether sigma stacking -- or perhaps also cosmetic pixel removal algorithms ... might reduce the chances of detecting such things?
Astro_Hoff

Post by Astro_Hoff »

Thanks. Just the luminance layer. Still got colour to add later. Sigma Stacking is ON (set to default settings) but I don't really worry about it as I re-stack and process everything later. Just use live stacking to monitor what is happening during the session. I usually 'save as seen' about once an hour just for a reference image in case something goes horribly wrong and I need to troubleshoot.

Using the live stack feature I have spotted numerous things that usually turn out to be nothing. This caught my attention as it had only moved slightly in approximately 2 hours of live stacking and did not match any other pixel patterns. I then used PIPP to create a video and confirm its movement.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Very cool this :)
I always check my captures too for these kind of surprises :)