Andromeda Core Dust Lane Detail

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

Re: Andromeda Core Dust Lane Detail

Post by Menno555 »

Cool!!!
I am waiting here till Andromeda pops up behind the roofs in like a month or so and then have a go too :)

Menno
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

Thanks Brian. Your annotated image inspired me to learn and take a deeper look. I see there was some interest about color differences among the clusters. I applied an analysis using software by Prof Doug Brown (Physics) at Cabrillo College in California, Tracker.jar, LRGB region analysis. Qualifier: Adjustments were made in SharpCap livestack to approximate the visual seen in most images. Color in this case is thus not calibrated. However, a ratio of R and B to L values for one image can indicate if one is redder or bluer than another. Attached are screenshots of the G146 vs G205 clusters where G205 has a slightly higher ratio of red vs G146.
Attachments
23F35A35-1357-4103-82DA-F8B654AAE4D7.jpeg
23F35A35-1357-4103-82DA-F8B654AAE4D7.jpeg (122.21 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
CF8B970B-A134-4908-A374-0F4DD5A7F3EE.jpeg
CF8B970B-A134-4908-A374-0F4DD5A7F3EE.jpeg (114.83 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Ron, a very nice tool! Yesterday I did notice a slightly reddish tinge to G205 as I annotated it. That is a nice Dob you've got. I visited the manufacturer's website yesterday. How is the tracking over the course of 15 minutes? You certainly had little to no drift over each 11-second exposure.

Brian
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

Thanks. The main issue is field rotation after about 2 minutes. The rocker box tracks very well for visual observation for hours, but since it is an Alt-Az Mount, the whole field rotates.

So, all my deep sky work is done with SharpCap live stack, which aligns and rotates the frames as they are stacked. 10 seconds per frame is acceptable. I can run this for an hour, hundreds of frames, where only a small percentage of the image at the edges is affected. Over time you can see the effect of field rotation as a dark zone that develops at the edges. All the stars are aligned well. Without SharpCap live stack I wouldn’t be able to do this.

For planetary I run SER video at fast rates for 30-60 second quick captures.

Cheers,

Ron
timh

Post by timh »

Hi Ron,

That is impressive! I always think that Dobs are underestimated for deepsky photography but - if you can put up with a bit of cropping - the image scale makes them really powerful for seeing the sort of detail that you are -- and anyway really good in terms of their sheer easy usability and for more compact objects such as planetaries and distant galaxies. An equatorial mount is so cumbersome by comparison.

I also really like the annotation - it adds a lot to have a scooby doo of excactly what you are looking at

With respect to things like gain and exposure per subframe I have always just guessed with my 10" dob (and AS1294 Pro) - usually 10s and gain 285 - but I really have no idea whether it is optimal (in terms of rotational blurring per subframe for any given object) and image dynamic range (e.g for galaxies like M94 where it is difficult to see detail of the core and at the same time see the outer faint regions). I have asked Robin whether it is feasible to create a Dob-orientated version of Brain to help with these things but it may be a rather big ask.

best wishes
Tim
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

Thanks Tim - give it a go- live stack makes it easy.
My ZWO has such low noise at 5-deg C set point temperature that I can run the gain up to 350 if needed.

I attached a screenshot of my laptop screen showing the histogram during live stack.

I have so much light pollution that I keep the left limit bar close to the edge of the main histogram peak. I’d love to be able to move it a bit to the left - when I’m next at a dark sky site.

The mid-level bar is the one I’m careful with to get the detail I need without burning out the galaxy core. Move it left towards the histogram peak and faint objects are enhanced but the bright core will overexpose. Where you see it here works well for me.

Cheers,

Ron
Attachments
80CC24EC-FE32-4895-B9AB-B84D6B67DD0B.jpeg
80CC24EC-FE32-4895-B9AB-B84D6B67DD0B.jpeg (159.26 KiB) Viewed 1183 times