Recent change in "Target Name" field behavior

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
lowenthalm

Recent change in "Target Name" field behavior

Post by lowenthalm »

I am not sure when it was introduced this spring, but at some point changes in the "Target Name" were no longer honored until a live-stack reset. I don't think there was really any issue with the previous manner in which it worked. Now, if I forget to change the target name when I begin live-stacking a new object, I am stuck with the old name. It is really irritating when I realized this 2 or 3 minutes into live-stacking.

Can it be changed back to the way it was before? Or, if the change was intended to fix an issue during raw image or quick captures, maybe change it back to the way it was just for live stacking? I can't tell you how much renaming and moving of files to different folders this has brought on for me, especially when I am working with an audience of observers and am multi-tasking!
BlackWikkett

Re: Recent change in "Target Name" field behavior

Post by BlackWikkett »

There have been a few issues and fixes with naming recently. Have a look at the links. It's currently working for me, hope this doesn't get broken again.
-Chris

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2744

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2579&start=10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, as far as I'm aware this is all working correctly in the latest SharpCap 3.2 versions. Perhaps slightly worryingly I've had to change the code related to the target name in SharpCap 3.3 – I really hope I haven't broken anything!

Cheers, Robin
donstim

Post by donstim »

Yes, it's "working," but I agree with the original poster that it is far from ideal to have to reset the livestack in order to have it use the changed target name. As the poster said, if you forget to set the target name until after you start live stacking and then try to save the stack, it will go in the previous target name folder unless the you reset the stack. It's an "oh shoot" moment when you're several minutes into a good livestack when you realize you forgot to put the current target name in.

I never had a problem with the way it worked originally. Put the target name in, hit "enter," and it would use that folder for any saved stacks from then on. With that functionality, you could put the target name in either before or after you start live stacking and any saved stacks would be saved in that folder.

Don
howardgrams

Post by howardgrams »

I fully agree that it would be desirable to be able to "Put the target name in, hit "enter," and it would use that folder for any saved stacks from then on. With that functionality, you could put the target name in either before or after you start live stacking and any saved stacks would be saved in that folder."

I too have had to many stacks end up in the wrong folder with the wrong name because I forgot to change the name in a timely fashion.

Howard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I did have some functionality once that tried to do just that – if you change the name part the way through a live stack it would rename the existing files and save all the new files into the correct new folder. At least it would try to do that, but it ended up causing more problems than it solved and only worked under certain circumstances, so I ended up taking it out.

Cheers, Robin
donstim

Post by donstim »

Hi Robin,

We're not talking about renaming existing files. We're talking about entering or changing the target folder while live stacking and before saving the stack. The way it used to work for all the versions of SharpCap I've ever used up to fairly recently is that you could do this (as long as you hit "enter" (or maybe TAB as well?) after putting in the target name) and the next save would use the new or changed target folder. Now, you have to reset the stack; the current stack will go to the previous target folder.

I can see where there may be issues if you are saving the individual frames during stacking, but it seems like there would be issues with that either way in that it either goes in the "wrong" folder or you have to reset the stack anyway to get it in the "right" folder.

I guess there's no easy way to please all of us!

Don
lowenthalm

Post by lowenthalm »

Yes, previously SharpCap just allowed you to change the target name, and then it would immediately start saving to the new folder name even if you were in the middle of a live stack. The only issue I can imagine that might have been a worry with this old method was if you were saving raw images during live stacking, but even in this situation the original functionality just continued writing the raw images into the new folder name. That is not common for me as I only occasionally do this for certain classes of target, but was easy to correct. Now its an everyday problem with every target.