Alternative Plate Solver

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
admin
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Plate Solver

Post by admin »

Hi Han,

That sort of field of view isn't unheard of – a standard 1280 x 960 guiding type camera with 3.75 µm pixels on a 750mm focal length telescope would give a field-of-view of about 0.37 x 0.27°. I'd say that was likely to be a moderately common set up given the popularity of those cameras and of skywatcher refractors with a 750 mm focal length.

Unfortunately SharpCap doesn't know anything about the focal length of the telescope, although I usually have the pixel size of the camera which could be used to work out the image sensor size. If you combine that information with a reasonable range of focal lengths from say 200 mm to 2000 mm then maybe we could restrict the search range somewhat.

Cheers, Robin
TimHaymes

Post by TimHaymes »

Hi All,
I have Astrotortilla and ASTAP installed. ASTAP works well as stand-alone so im trying to get it to run in SC. Im using SkyMap and ASCOM simulator and the simulator is working. SC takes a while to solve but when it does, the telescope position is not updated? (using the M42 image). Is this expected ?

The other difficulty im having is understanding where the telescope directional contols is located in SC when ASCOM is running, and there are additional windows shown in the attached, from a previous post. I dont see any of this. Something is wrong. Can you advise please
Attachments
SC question.jpg
SC question.jpg (101.1 KiB) Viewed 865 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

this shows the plate solver button that you want to use if you are aiming to resynchronise the mount to get accurate gotos.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (55.21 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Hope that helps, Robin