Seriously dumb question - how to specify lat / long in settings

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Luke Spacehopper

Seriously dumb question - how to specify lat / long in settings

Post by Luke Spacehopper »

Hi,

On every other bit of astro software I've got - Stellarium, APT, EQMOD - I can specify my lat long as either RA and Dec, or using the equivalent decimal versions which comprises a positive lat and a NEGATIVE long value.

So, I don't actually know how to convert this into the Sharpcap Polar Alignment settings field, which asks for decimal versions but I'm not really confident that when I'm specifying the negative longitude, I'm doing the right thing and having it convert properly.

So, given that my longitude is 00°55'52.8"W, which is -0.931339 in decimal... how would I specify this in the Sharpcap longitude field? Would it be 0.931339 East?

I know I could just ask Sharpcap to take the ASCOM mount values, but I'd prefer actually to see the correct values in front of me (which is another point - it would be great if the 'take values from the ASCOM mount' would then display those values, just for peace of mind).

I told you it was a seriously dumb question.

Thanks. :)
Luke Spacehopper

Re: Seriously dumb question - how to specify lat / long in settings

Mmmmmmkay, just read up on this, western hemisphere always has negative longitude, so -0.931339 is by definition West, which means I can specify it as 0.931339 West.

If I'm wrong, please shout, like this: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that's correct – you could also specify it as 359.069 or thereabouts if you wanted.

Cheers, Robin
Luke Spacehopper

Thanks Robin! :)