Multiple focus devices

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
MikeT

Multiple focus devices

Post by MikeT »

Hi Robin,
I've recently been getting on very well with my PegasusAstro Focuscube V2 (in fact it was you that sold it to me at the Astro show near Warwick last year). The cube is fitted to my piggyback wide area refractor and I'm now thinking of getting a second one to retrofit to a JMI focusser on my primary SCT.

If I have two identical brand focussers will it be easy to distinguish them when selecting hardware in SharpCap ? I'm wondering if as USB devices are plugged in/out that the COM port allocated to the devices will change and it will then be difficult to reliably be connected to the correct one.

Thanks,
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Re: Multiple focus devices

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

I think (and I'm hopefully correct) that Windows is now pretty good at assigning the same com port numbers to the same devices if you leave them plugged in to the same ports. What happens if you unplug them and replug them, I'm not quite sure. I don't think I have any duplicated pieces of equipment that I could test this out with.

Cheers, Robin