QHY5III224c Problems with 3.2

efriday

Re: QHY5III224c Problems with 3.2

Post by efriday »

Annotation 2020-02-11 184445.png
Annotation 2020-02-11 184445.png (114.67 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
here is a screenshot when my camera is attached.
in Windows 10, the camera shows up as
"Westbridge Driver is unavailable"

Thanks for all the responses. I think we are getting close.
efriday

Post by efriday »

I uninstalled all the QHY camera and ASCOM drivers on my tablet and downloaded the "updated" drivers from the page you provided.
Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognize the .dll files as drivers.
When I plug in the QHY5III224C camera, it shows up as "Westbridge" in the Device manager.
here is the screenshot of the Device Manager when I point it to the location of the QHY series drivers for 32 bits.
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (8).png (210.18 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Not sure where the .dll files that you mention come into it… This is the download for the system driver that I think you should be installing

https://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/ ... dition.zip

If you download that and then open up the zip file you will find two different executables inside – one for Windows 10 and the other for Windows 7. Run the Windows 10 version (you have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it to run as Microsoft may say it's not downloaded very often). Once you've done that the camera should appear correctly in device manager and hopefully also work correctly in SharpCap.

Cheers, Robin
efriday

Post by efriday »

Yes, I downloaded the zipped file, extracted all the contents, and ran the Windows 10 executable. Indeed, I had to ignore Microsoft's warnings and select "Run Anyway". The result is still no listing of QHY cameras.
When I plug the camera into the USB port of my Windows tablet, I hear the chime sound that says a device has been connected. But the only change to Device Manager is the "Westbridge" addition to the USB devices.

Thanks for your patient help.
I'm starting to think my Samsung tablet may not support any camera. I ordered a Microsoft Surface, which should arrive today, and I'll see if that will recognize this camera.
Attachments
Screenshot (11).png
Screenshot (11).png (165.81 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (10).png (103.73 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Well, as far as I can work out you've done all the right things and yet the camera still isn't being detected properly (or rather the driver for it isn't configuring it properly). QHY cameras oddly don't appear in the camera section and control panel – they appear in a separate 'Astro imaging equipment' section at the top of the list, but I can see from your screenshot that that isn't there for you either.

The only other thing I can suggest (aside from trying a different computer, which it sounds like you have in hand anyway) is to try different USB ports and to also try different cables (including a USB2 cable). I have seen cases where some of these Astro cameras work beautifully in one port on a machine and will completely fail to work in another port. Similarly not all USB3 chipsets are born equal and sometimes I've seen problems with the USB3 cameras failing to work with a particular laptop motherboard. Just occasionally using a USB2 cable in these cases is enough to get the camera working even if only at low speeds.

Cheers, Robin
efriday

Success

Post by efriday »

SUCCESS!
Switching to a MS Surface Book 2. with a USB 3.0 port instantly worked. I now see the QHY camera in the camera list.
Your suggestion was exactly correct. Apparently a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 has USB-C ports not compatible with this camera.
I can now proceed with tackling the other problems of imaging.

Thanks so much for your clear explanations.
Dr. Edward Friday
Shalimar, Florida, USA
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Glad to hear that you got everything working – hope that you get some clear skies soon. I took the liberty of removing your phone number from your previous post as putting that online risks it being picked up by scammers and cold callers.

Cheers, Robin
efriday

QYH5III224 viewing daylight scene

Post by efriday »

In the course of becoming familiar with the procedures necessary for imaging with my QYH5III224 camera, I set it up viewing a daylight scene through my Celestron 8SE. Through trial and error, I found the 20mm eyepiece looking through a diagonal mirror could be replaced with the camera, and the image was very nearly in focus on the camera.
Problem is, Sharpcap has dozens of Camera and Image Controls that I'm not able to set to get a coherent image - one similar to what my cellphone camera produces when held up to the eyepiece. The image consists mostly of edges, which allows me to focus, but always has so much contrast or pure color that nothing is recognizable. Even after looking at the Histogram, and putting the Red, Green, and Blue Histograms within the range of the scene.
Can you suggest some Camera and Image Control settings that will get me close to a "normal" image for a daylight scene?
Perhaps the QYH5III224 is so sensitive that it demands very low intensity ……?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Usually a good option is to leave most of the control that their default value and adjust the exposure and gain controls until the image is roughly the right brightness. Once you've done that, you may want to play around with the white balance to try and get a natural looking colour. Often these cameras can give a yellow or green hue, if you get yellow tried turning up the blue white balance. If you get green, try turning up the red and blue.

If you have already adjusted most of the controls and can't remember where you started, restart SharpCap and then open the camera with the <CTRL> keypress down, which. SharpCap from reloading any previous values for the camera.

In general I wouldn't recommend adjusting the gamma or contrast or brightness controls away from their default values.

Cheers, Robin
efriday

Post by efriday »

Thanks Robin. I'll try all those things.