Plate Solving Failure

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
poolemarkw

Plate Solving Failure

Post by poolemarkw »

Hi Everyone,

I received the following error when trying to use the plate solving function in SharpCap:

Plate Solve Failed - only 1 stars found. Try reducing the Sigma value in Sharpcap settings. Error was: Plate Solving Failed: 1 [main] bash 11252 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this to the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com

Prior to asking SharpCap to do the platesolve, I clearly had an exposure and gain setting that was displaying numerous stars, and my Sigma value was set to 1.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solving Failure

Post by admin »

Hi,

This is just a guess, but where you using one of the stretch functions (like the stretch in the display histogram) to brighten up the image? That could make stars look nicely visible to you on the screen but still be too dim to be seen by the plate solving. If it's not that then one other thing people can try is to save a frame and then upload it to the online plate solver at nova.astrometry.net - if that solves it then the problem may be with SharpCap, if that fails to solve then it's likely a problem with getting enough stars in the image.

Cheers, Robin
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Thanks Robin, I'll check out both of those options!

Mark
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Hi Robin,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. I tried the Plate Solving feature again and it failed again, giving the same message:

"Plate Solve Failed - only 1 stars found. Maybe too few? Try reducing the "sigma" value in SharpCap settings. Error was: Plate Solving Failed: 1 [main] bash 2216 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com"

I then took a snapshot of the image on the screen and uploaded it to nove.astrometry.net to be Plate Solved and it was successful.

I've attached screenshots of the SharpCap window when the Plate Solve attempt failed, and when my snapshot of the star field was submitted to Astronometry.net and succeeded.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Mark
Attachments
Plate Solve Success of my Screen Shot
Plate Solve Success of my Screen Shot
PlateSolve_Success.JPG (133.84 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
SharpCap Plate Solve Failure Screenshot
SharpCap Plate Solve Failure Screenshot
Platesolvefailure.JPG (224.49 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Can you share the single frame that you uploaded to astrometry.net and also the log from your failed attempt to get it to plate solve in SharpCap please? I think the actual messages telling us that there was an error in star detection because if you look closely it's actually minus one stars found, not one. Maybe the log will have more information about what has gone wrong or perhaps trying to frame myself might reveal something.

Thanks, Robin
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Hi Robin,

I've attached the log file and the snapshot that was taken. Note that my snapshot was initially taken as a .tif file but this forum wouldn't let me upload it due to file size (31 MB). I've uploaded a .jpeg version that is significantly reduced down to less than 1 MB.

I'll also add that the Plate Solving feature HAS worked in the past, but only twice in many, many attempts.

Thanks, Mark
Attachments
PlateSole_Antennae_00001_reduced.jpg
PlateSole_Antennae_00001_reduced.jpg (774.5 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Log_2020-03-27T22_59_23-8688.log
(184.87 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

This looks like it may be antivirus related – the key line in the log is this one

Code: Select all

1 [main] python2.6 22160 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by 'fcntl.dll' (0x1D0000) is already occupied
Which indicates that the cygwin runtime which is required to run the plate solver cannot start up properly because some of the memory it needs is already used by some other code.

This page - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/111 ... tch-commit (currently down for maintenance, but a cached version can be seen here - https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... irefox-b-d) indicates that the particular problem is usually caused by antivirus software and can be worked around either by disabling some of the features of the software or running a command to change the address that the cygwin DLLs load at (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.usin ... k-failures)

Hope this helps, Robin