Live Stack - Save and reset every x minutes

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
howardgrams

Live Stack - Save and reset every x minutes

Post by howardgrams »

Hi Robin,

When I use the Save and reset every x minutes option in live stacking, Sharpcap saves both 16-bit and 32-bit copies of the stack. I wonder why it does both.
- Presumably the intended use for this is to take these multiple fits files to another stacking program like DSS or ASTAP. Is it better to use the 32-bit version for subsequent stacking?
- Is there a way to specify that I want Sharpcap to save one format and not the other?

Regards,
Howard Grams
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live Stack - Save and reset every x minutes

Post by admin »

Hi Howard,

The 16 bit version is more suitable for immediate image viewing and processing, while the 32-bit version ensures no data loss and is possibly best if you are going to stack the results of multiple live stack runs. The simple reason for saving both is that it avoids having to have configuration settings (which is a plus in terms of simplification of the user interface) and it means that you can never end up in the situation of having run a long stacking session and then realised you have the wrong output type.

The best thing to do is just to delete the files that you do not want at the end of the evening.

Cheers, Robin
howardgrams

Re: Live Stack - Save and reset every x minutes

Post by howardgrams »

OK, thanks for the quick answer, Robin.

You might want to make a note to add a sentence or two to this effect in the next revision of the user manual.

Regards, Howard