ZWO EAF Configuration

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
poolemarkw

ZWO EAF Configuration

Post by poolemarkw »

Just bought a ZWO EAF electronic focuser that I intend to control from SharpCap. I need to know how to configure it so that SharpCap doesn't let me break my telescope focuser by trying to make it go too far in or out. Thanks! Mark
chongo228

Re: ZWO EAF Configuration

Post by chongo228 »

You can set the zero point under settings in SC but I don't remember seeing a point for being fully extended. Maybe in ASCOM you can do this. Although these points can and will get off due to backlash.

The EAF will max out at about 10lbs of force, beep, and then stop trying pretty quickly. I don't think it's strong enough to break a focuser.
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Thanks for the info. Is the zero point supposed to be associated with the "all in", "all-out", or "center" position of the focuser?
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

I set zero as all in.

Thinking about it more you don't need to worry about hitting the end stops typically. For example I know my scope will hit focus around 6100 steps give or take 50 to 75 due to temperature. I send it to about 6100 then go into the focuser routine. If it gets off due to backlash or slippage you can move it "all in" and set the zero again point to sync it back. Higher end focus motors have encoders and can adjust for this....the EAF does not.
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Ok, my next step is to get it installed and work through the configuration. Thanks again for your responses!