GPCAM3 No Image Flip Option

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
Lulubell

GPCAM3 No Image Flip Option

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
I have an Altair GPCAM3 178M. It works fine but there is no image flip option under camera controls (or anywhere else as far as I can see)? Am I missing something?
Cheers
Louise
admin
Site Admin

Re: GPCAM3 No Image Flip Option

Post by admin »

Hi,

The flip option is only available on these cameras in RGB and mono modes, not in RAW mode - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Altair ... 20Controls

Cheers, Robin
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
Thanks. Um, I'm not sure what you mean by 'raw' mode? It's a mono camera. I found that the flip option only appears in mono8 mode but I'd had it on mono14 mode. Is mono 14 what you mean by 'raw'? I'd really like to be able to use the 14 bits and the flip - might that be possible in the (near) future?
Cheers
Louise
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, I had my geek hat on and did not explain very clearly.

For these cameras, even the mono ones, SharpCap has to set a flag called 'raw mode' if it wants to get the high bit depth mode working. Once you put the camera into that mode, the option to flip the image stops working, so the program is set up not to show the option in circumstances where it will not work. This is a limitation of the SDK software the Altair provides for the cameras.

I'm afraid the best bet in the circumstances is to perform any necessary flip in postprocessing.

Cheers, Robin
Lulubell

Post by Lulubell »

Hi
Thanks, Robin. Ok, I understand now. I'd have thought, though, that the display image could be flipped for display purposes independent of the sdk.
Cheers
Louise