SharpCap resets tracking mode to sidereal

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
rincewind

SharpCap resets tracking mode to sidereal

Post by rincewind »

Camera Altair Astro IMX174
Mount: Skywatcher AZ-EQ6
Scope: ES 102ED with Lunt Solar Wedge
Software:windows 10 latest update, EQ Mod 6.2
sharpcap 3.0.3994.0
After setting the tracking mode to Solar in EQMod I use the direction controls in sharpcap, on checking in EQMod the tracking mode has been changed back to sidereal
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap resets tracking mode to sidereal

Post by admin »

Ah yes, as far as I can tell that's an EQMOD bug - SharpCap asks EQMOD what rate it is tracking at and it always replies 'Sidereal' even when it is on solar or lunar rate (well, it can correctly reply 'None' when not tracking).

So, as far as I can tell there's no way to correctly find out what rate is being used from the SharpCap code, which means I can't put the rate back correctly after moving the mount, sorry :(

cheers,

Robin
rincewind

Post by rincewind »

I understand, have you raised a fault report for eq mod?

Alternatively, can you put a select button in the control section to set solar or lunar tracking which will send a demand to eq mod
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, no I didn't raise an issue against EQMOD, largely because they use Yahoo groups for their discussion boards, which is pretty much the worst option imaginable (in my opinion) - I try to avoid yahoo stuff at all costs.

The challenge with adding a control isn't actually making the change (fairly easy), it's designing a UI to fit in the available space and be easily understandable (or as easy as possible) given the small space there is. Maybe I could make the tracking on/off button a drop down button?

cheers,

Robin
rincewind

Post by rincewind »

A drop down selector "Track mode" is a good solution as once set would indicate which mode EQ MOD will be set to after an Ra or Dec movement.

Thanks, Roger
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have worked out how to reset the EQMOD mount to the correct tracking rate after movement - the only downside is that it shows in the EQMOD UI as 'Custom' after I have done this rather than the standard Solar/Lunar/Sidereal. It's the right rate though, just the UI not updating correctly when I set the rate from SharpCap.

This will be in SharpCap 3.1

cheers,

Robin
rincewind

Post by rincewind »

Hi Robin,

That will be fine as I don't look at the rate set in EQMOD unless the Sun starts to wonder across the screen

Thanks for your responses and excellent solution

Regards Roger