Temperature being used in dark file path

oopfan

Temperature being used in dark file path

Post by oopfan »

Hi, I am running Version 2.9.3055.0. I am considering subscribing to SharpCap Pro but I have a concern:

I really like the realtime dark subtraction feature.

But as of Version 3.0.3901.0 it says: "ZWO Cameras - fix sensor temperature not being used in dark file path on non-cooled cameras."

My ASI120MC is not cooled. Will this release not allow dark subtraction if the file is stamped one degree different than the current sensor temperature?

I do understand that you want the darks and lights to be subject to the same conditions but a one degree difference might be more of an annoyance than a help.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Temperature being used in dark file path

Post by admin »

Hi,

nothing stops you from using a dark with a different temperature if you want, but as you say it's best to match the conditions as closely as possible. Prior to the bug fix you mention the temperature was being recorded as '-infinity' for the ZWO cameras without coolers, which was creating a filename that was not reading back properly. Now the correct sensor temperature is used.

cheers,

Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Thank you for the quick reply, Robin. May I ask a quick question off-topic?

I lock down my Firefox (latest version) pretty tightly. Prior to creating a login I made a Cookie Exception to accept cookies from https://forums.sharpcap.co.uk

Everything went smoothly. I am able to log in and post, etc., but I get this message at the bottom of the screen saying "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website." I checked my privacy settings and I do see a cookie on my machine for the domain: "forums.sharpcap.co.uk".

The only explanation I can think of is that your website uses an additional cookie domain.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have a cookie

domain=forums.sharpcap.co.uk
name=cookieconsent_status
content=dismiss

which I think is the one responsible for getting rid of the cookie notification. I also have 3 other phpbb3_* cookies for forums.sharpcap.co.uk.

I can't see any obvious reason why this wouldn't work for you - You might have to look in the javascript debug console to see if there are any script errors when you try to dismiss the cookie warning perhaps.

cheers,

Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

All right, I see the issue,

The existence of cookieconsent_status controls whether or not I see this status message at the bottom of the page:
"This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. <link: Learn more> <button: Got it!>"
When I click "Got It1" the cookie is created with the content "dismiss", and the status message goes away forever.

That workflow makes sense for someone who has cookies always turned on. For me, however, I misinterpreted its meaning since I anticipated having to augment my cookie rules before I even attempted to create an account.

All better now. Thank you!
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Robin,

The docs have precious little to say about sensor temperature. How often does SharpCap sample it? Can I set an alarm whenever it changes? If not, is it something I can do in script?

I've decided to get really aggressive with this. The plan going forward is to watch sensor temperature like a hawk and if it changes, either direction, I will stop capturing lights and redo darks.

Thanks,
Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

the current implementation polls the ZWO SDK for temperature every second, but I'm not sure if the SDK itself updates the temperature that frequently.

You should be able to find the temperature control in the controls collection and attach to the ValueChanged event. Not sure if the ValueChanged event gets sent even if the value is unchanged at update time, so you might have to filter that out.

cheers,

Robin