SharpCap Crashes with Latest iOptron Commander

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
brentbos

SharpCap Crashes with Latest iOptron Commander

Post by brentbos »

I had been successfully using SharpCap v3.26086.0 on a Windows 7 machine and iOptron Commander v5.63. When I try updating iOptron Commander to v5.74, SharpCap will crash when attempting to the connect to my mount (CEM60). If I revert back to v5.64 then all is fine again. Attached are the error files. Thanks.
Attachments
InvalidOperationException at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)_#49325.error.zip
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap Crashes with Latest iOptron Commander

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for posting the bug report file. Unfortunately it's one of those awkward cases where the problem doesn't happen anywhere near the code that originally caused it, so I can't use the information in the bug report to lead me to the place in the code that might need to be fixed.

Does the same problem occur every single time you try to use the new version of the iOptron software? If it occurs repeatedly then I might be able to work out a solution if I can get my hands on an iOptron mount to test with (basically this approach comes down to disabling more and more code in SharpCap Intel I find the bit where disabling that code causes the problem to go away and then hopefully I can work out what's wrong with the last piece of code that I disabled). I might be able to borrow one of these mounts, but probably not until November.

I think the first thing I would suggest is trying to go back to the previous version of the iOptron software and see if that makes the problem go away.

Cheers, Robin
brentbos

Post by brentbos »

Yes it crashes every time. It does work fine when I re-installed the previous version of iOptron Commander. Thanks.
MorzineIT

Post by MorzineIT »

Hi,
I was having a similar problem, and I've narrowed down the problem.
It seems that, if the iOptron Commander mount is connected in SharpCap and any parameters are changed eg. resolution then the crash occurs.
It also crashes if the mount auto connects with the camera. So the work around is to not auto connect the mount; and disconnect the mount in sharpcap before changing any settings; then reconnect the mount.

It's a bit of a pain, so it would be great to get it fixed.
I'd be glad to provide any logs if it helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Certainly logs from the very latest version of SharpCap with the additional logging turned on in the first page of the options showing the problem when you change resolution would be welcome. Please set a fairly long exposure (a few seconds) as otherwise the log will just be full of information about the camera taking images which is not so interesting in this context.

Cheers, Robin
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

I've not upgraded to the latest version of iOptron Commander yet but have been using the version from March of 2019. Had not been aware of the 9-10-19 update. One thing I did earlier this year was upgrade ASCOM platform to 6.4 and made sure .NET version 4.8 was installed. Make sure you have this software updated also. I'll install the latest version soon as possible to check on comparability with CEM60 software and SC.
brentbos

Post by brentbos »

I am using the latest version of ASCOM and .Net. Thanks for the tip of manually connecting the mount.
MorzineIT

Post by MorzineIT »

Hi Robin,

I've just done a test to create the crash dump with additional logging turned on, as requested.

All I did to generate the crash was as follows:
- Turn on mount
- Connect commander software
- Load Sharpcap (3.2) 32 bit
- Connect camera in Sharpcap
- Connect mount in Sharpcap
- Change resoltion of camera
-> crash

It seems to generate multiple errors, and the error reporting doesn't seem to be handling it very well - I suspect the error wasn't reported on your server.

BUT, there was no error log on my PC afterwards ! (I did add the /dump parameter)
attached are 2 other log that seemed to be on my desktop

I have managed to recreate the problem though without any equipment connected, so you should be able to recreate it too.
-Installed and loaded iOptron commander 5.74
-Run Sharpcap
- Selected demo Camera V2
- Clicked on connect the mount checkbox
- Change the resolution twice
(it seems to freeze on the first then crash on the second change)

It seesm to be trying to communicate with iOptron commander, but as there isn't a response, when the second communication occurs it crashes.

I hope that all helps..
Attachments
InvalidOperationException at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)_#77011.error.zip
(31.43 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
InvalidOperationException at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)_#56254.error.zip
(19.09 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the info about how to reproduce the same issue without needing the hardware connected. I can see that problem and I believe I have a fix at least for that particular issue. I'm not sure though whether it will fix the issue of the problem when changing resolution when the mount is attached – the change will be in the next version and we can test it then.

Cheers, Robin
MorzineIT

Post by MorzineIT »

Wow Robin,
I have never seen such a fast response to a bug report on live software.

Congratulations ! (chapeau ! or hats off as we say in France)

I'd like to understand why I can't get a log dump to work - then I could send you further precisions