NEED HELP:PHD2 Guiding stops images from appearing on SC

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
umasscrew39

NEED HELP:PHD2 Guiding stops images from appearing on SC

Post by umasscrew39 »

I starting guiding for the first time and all seemed well until I noticed that the image on SC disappears when guiding is happening. What does that mean?

Everything connected fine and SC is "working", that is running like normal but no image appears or histogram unless I turn PHD2 off and turn the camera off and back on or reboot SC completely. It will then return to normal until I turn PHD2 on again and the screen goes blank once again.

I am using a ZWO ASI294MC Pro cam and an UltraStar guide camera.

Status for live viewing says: Ready
admin
Site Admin

Re: NEED HELP:PHD2 Guiding stops images from appearing on SC

Post by admin »

Hi,

Are you using a USB hub to connect both cameras back to a single USB port on the computer? Doing that can have this sort of effect because both cameras are trying to use the limited USB bandwidth available through the hub. If at all possible bring both cameras back via separate USB cables to separate ports on the computer.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

Ugh!! That is exactly my setup. Both cameras are plugged into the same hub on top of the scope and then the single USB cable plugged into the laptop. I am not sure I can change this as my scope is over 12ft above ground in my observatory and this setup avoids any dragging cables. I guess my only choice to fix this as you suggest is to put a second hub on the scope, run the USB cable through the mount like the other one but have it access a different port on the laptop or use a second laptop. This could get really messy. I can do 60s unguided but was trying to up this to 3 minutes. Guess I might have to stick to 60 s.

Thanks for the info- very helpful as I had no idea what was causing this.

Regards,
Bruce
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Are you using a passive or powered USB hub? Is the Hub USB3? I've had success using powered USB3 hubs with a mixture of USB2 and USB3 devices without issues. The rule of thumb I follow is no single is USB cable is more than 5 meters between device and hub or hub and PC. The standard for USB3 cables is 3 meters but I've found 5 meters has worked for me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, there are certainly things that you can play with to try to make the approach with a single cable work – have a look at the top of the bug reports forum, there is a link to a post about troubleshooting USB issues which might help.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I am using a powered USB 3 hub. The cable is 15 ft (4.5 meters) that runs from the top of the scope down the pier to my laptop.

Thanks, I will check out the link you are referring to.
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Appears to have been a bad USB cable. Hoping now I can get focused stars in PHD2 to try guiding.