Noise in images with zwo1600

geitemans

Noise in images with zwo1600

Post by geitemans »

Hello!

I am a happy Sharpcap Pro user.... almost :p I love the program, but I am experiencing a lot of noise from my ZWO1600MM pro. It does not show up in ASICAP for example, but I really want to user Sharpcap! Is this normal preview behavior/ does ASICAP smooth the image or something? Attached screenshots running the exact same drivers, OS, gain & brightness & cooling.....

Am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
asicap.jpg
asicap.jpg (356.55 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
sharpcap.jpg
sharpcap.jpg (516.55 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Noise in images with zwo1600

Post by admin »

Hi,

I expect some other settings are different – I can see from the screenshots that you seem to have ASIcap in RAW8 but SharpCap in MONO 16 mode – there may be more differences that I can't see because they are off the bottom of the screenshot. For instance SharpCap has a way to stretch the image using the sliders in the histogram on the right-hand side which may be activated whereas ASIcap looks like it has a different type of display stretch control with display gamma controls etc.

Both applications will just be taking the digital data from the camera and displaying it on screen, so once you get all the setting is absolutely identical you should really get identical results.

Note that at short exposures, the cooling is completely unimportant. It's also worth checking to see that the ranges of each control are the same – sometimes different applications will give the same control a different range of values available in which case choosing the same numeric value in the two applications may not be appropriate.

Cheers, Robin
geitemans

Post by geitemans »

Thank you for the reply! Changing to 16bit doesnt help with the difference, but perhaps it is the auto stretching. The thing however is that the noise also seems to show up in the saved images, as my results are very different. I know this doesnt help you, so tomorrow should be clear and I will make a 300 second Ha sub with the exact same cooling and settings both with ASIcap and Sharpcap and I will post them here if there is a big difference. I really want to use Sharpcap :D

To be continued
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Please also post the capture settings file that is saved alongside the saved images from SharpCap. This will let us check that you haven't tweaked any other settings in strange ways that might be causing the problem.

Thanks, Robin
geitemans

Post by geitemans »

Sorry for the late reply, the weather has been horrible for 4 weeks in a row.

The problem is solved by switching to 16 bit capture versus 8 bit. Less noise now, and no difference between capture programs. Sorry for wasting your time!