Sensor Analysis Fail QHY168C-FSQ106-Flip Flat

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
SXBB

Sensor Analysis Fail QHY168C-FSQ106-Flip Flat

Post by SXBB »

Hi,

Using ver 3.1.5191 with a QHY168C, FSQ106 F5, & and an Alnitak Flip Flat I was unable to get the sensor analysis to complete. If I had the Flip Flat turned up high enough to keep the exposures in the beginning of the tool less than 10 sec which is the limit, it would fail at the end because the minimum exposure time would be reached. Is this because the FSQ106 is a relatively fast scope? I'm new to Sharpcap & CMOS cameras & I'm heading to a dark site next weekend. I'd love to be able to use this tool to characterize my gear so that I can use the Brain tool to optimize my exposures rather than just guessing. Very cool stuff!

Thanks,

Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis Fail QHY168C-FSQ106-Flip Flat

Post by admin »

Hi,

the speed of the scope doesn't matter - sensor analysis only depends on the characteristics of the sensor and all that the scope does is adjust the overall brightness seen from your flat panel.

Not sure what the minimum exposure is for the camera you have, but assuming it is <0.1ms then I would set the illumination to give 1ms exposures when the gain is set to 50 (if the gain maximum is <100) or 500 (if the max gain is >100). This usually works fairly well and keeps the maximum exposure below 2s. SharpCap only measues QHY cameras up to 50/500 gain as going above that tends to push the exposure range too far.

hope this helps,

Robin