Using Sharpcap and PhD2 at the same time

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
Moonstruck

Using Sharpcap and PhD2 at the same time

Post by Moonstruck »

I will be buying a guide camera soon, and anticipate using PHD2 for guiding and Sharpcap for capture. How does this work- do I open PHD2 and Sharpcap separately, or do I open PHD2 through a Sharpcap screen? And when running Sharpcap to capture images, would I minimize the PHD2 screen, or do they both stay open at the same time?

Also, do I connect the guide camera to the mount via ST4 cable? I have seen a video where it says connection to the mount isn't needed and that you go right to the laptop from the guide camera... just curious how this whole thing works- connection and use of both programs at the same time.

If it matters for your response, I will have a Skywatcher EQ6-R-Pro mount, off-axis guider, ZWO asi 174 guide camera, and ZWO asi 294 main imaging camera. My OTA will be a Celestron CPC 800 Edge. I don't have any of this gear yet, but will be getting it as soon as the backorder situation is resolved. Just curious for now.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Sharpcap and PhD2 at the same time

Post by admin »

Hi,

Roughly speaking, what you do is this...

Initial setup...

Run PHD2 on its own, get it all set up to talk to the guide camera, etc.
Connect PHD2 to control your mount either via the ST4 cable from the camera or via your ASCOM mount driver
Choose 'Enable Server' in the PHD2 tools menu - this lets SharpCap talk to PHD2

Imaging session...

Run PHD2, get it guiding, minimize it
Run SharpCap, configure it to talk to PHD2 if you want dithering or you want SharpCap to monitor PHD2
Run captures in SharpCap - flip to PHD2 now and then to check all is well

cheers,

Robin
Moonstruck

Post by Moonstruck »

Thanks Robin, this is very helpful. I'll probably be asking more questions after I get my mount/camera and start using it!
Sagitarius

Post by Sagitarius »

Run SharpCap, configure it to talk to PHD2 if you want dithering or you want SharpCap to monitor PHD2

Hi, i'm using the pro version and would like to know how exactly i can connect the Phd2 and sharpcap when autoguiding with Star Adventurer 2 (st4) or Celestron Avx st4 or usb (ASCOM).I was using SC mainly for planetary but now i start using for deep sky targets.
My set-up will be
Guiding scope: 1)SvBony mini guide, SvBony Sv198
Scopes: Askar FMA135, TS optics 60 photoline.
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the best approach is still to work through the steps in this post above : viewtopic.php?p=25665#p25665

If you get stuck at one stage or another then feel free to ask for more details.

cheers,

Robin