Sendor Data for over 150 popular astronomy cameras - Where?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
claudemundy

Sendor Data for over 150 popular astronomy cameras - Where?

Post by claudemundy »

Hello. On page 137 of the Sharpcap user manual (v4.0), there is a statement that "SharpCap ships with sensor data for over 150 popular astronomy cameras, so you may find that Smart Histogram works for you straight away." Where is this data and how do I load it into Sharpcap? I would have thought that this would be in the Sensor Library, but I don't see anything there after a clean install.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sendor Data for over 150 popular astronomy cameras - Where?

Post by admin »

Hi,

the sensor data is stored in one of these folders (depending on whether you have the 32 or 64 bit versions)

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 4.0\SensorLibrary
C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.0 (64 bit)\SensorLibrary
These files are not user readable, they are designed to be used by SharpCap when using the Smart Histogram feature (and potentially other features). If start using a camera that has a pre-installed analysis file then you will see Smart Histogram data without needing to run your own analysis.

cheers,

Robin
claudemundy

Post by claudemundy »

Ah, I see. Thank you for your quick reply! It would be awesome to be able to see this sensor analysis data before acquiring one of these expensive cameras to better determine which camera would work best in my situation. Is it possible to load one of these cameras up as a simulation camera to see the sensor analysis data?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry, but the simulated camera in SharpCap is only a generic tool to allow images to be loaded, rather than a detailed simulator of a specific model.

Many camera manufacturers display sensor data (read noise, e/ADU, full well, etc) on their web sites - for CMOS cameras the sensor characteristics are fixed by the mode/make of the sensor itself and change very little with the rest of the electronics that the camera manufacturer puts around the sensor, so if you find sensor data for (say) the IMX290 sensor for one manufacturer, it will apply equally to IMX290 based models from other manufacturers.

cheers,

Robin