ASI294MM Sensor Analyses in Bin1 and in Bin 2 modes

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
atacamastar

ASI294MM Sensor Analyses in Bin1 and in Bin 2 modes

Post by atacamastar »

As the title suggests I performed sensor analyses for my ASI294MM in both Bin1 and Bin2 modes. The SensorCharacteristics folder now contains json files for both modes. When I use the Smart Histogram feature how do I specify which sensor analysis json file the tool should use? Thanks! Tom
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI294MM Sensor Analyses in Bin1 and in Bin 2 modes

Post by admin »

Hi,

as long as you are using SharpCap 4.0 and are using the native ZWO support rather than the ASCOM driver, then it should all be automatic... SharpCap knows about the two modes (11 megapixel and 47 megapixel read modes) and uses the right analysis data.

cheers,

Robin
atacamastar

Post by atacamastar »

So if I am understanding, when I select the Bin1 (46MP - 8288 x 5644) or Bin2 (11MP - 4144 x 2822) settings in the Camera Format section, the corresponding correct sensor analysis will be automatically loaded for the Smart Histogram function ? ? ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, in SC4 it should all be automatic - just be sure you are using the 'Read Mode' control to change between 8288x5644 and 4144x2822 as shown below. SC4 separates this out from the binning control, which applies binning onto the base resolution specified by the read mode. So, for example, ReadMode = 11 Megapixel, bin 2 gets you ~2072 x 1410 resolution.

cheers,

Robin
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (48.76 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
atacamastar

Post by atacamastar »

Brilliant! Thank you!
Dan Bryan

Post by Dan Bryan »

Apologies as I am new to SC. I ran the analysis for the first time last evening on same 294mm camera. Took me a minute to get the intensity to something it liked. I use a tracing pad, layer of fine weave fabric and some sheets of white paper. While it did make it through the first time, when I tried again it would hang. Needless to say I had some curiosities such as should I run it both room temp and then cooled to simulate actual field use but found the answer which is not necessary.

Ultimately I installed a newer ASCOM driver. The new driver fixed the problems I've been having with setting offset in the camera on nights of imaging (with another utility), but in either mono8 or mono16 the sequence would still hang at various times. Sometimes after it's covered for the dark read. I need to check general settings a little closer and see if I can detect what might be causing the interrupt. I'll try it again this evening. I am using an older laptop with only USB2 ports. Is there a post with all the general settings recommended for the 294mm?

The 2 times it did manage to finish gave me this data:
DBasi294mm.JPG
DBasi294mm.JPG (203.99 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

those analysis results look reasonable. As is typical, the 8 bit mode has much higher 'read' noise at low gain - actually this is caused by the fine brightness data being discarded when the pixel brightness is converted to 8 bit data with only 256 available levels.

I am surprised that you are using the ZWO ASCOM driver with SharpCap - there is no need to do that as SharpCap can control ZWO cameras directly without needing the ASCOM driver (avoiding the ASCOM driver usually gives better performance and better control over the camera). Note that with direct control for the 294MM, the choice between unlocked '1x1' mode and normal '2x2' mode is made using the 'Read Mode' control by selecting either 47 or 11 megapixel, not using the binning.

cheers,

Robin
Dan Bryan

Post by Dan Bryan »

Thanks for the reply Robin.

When I start up SharpCap I do select the camera that it sees, the 294mm. That's not using the ASCOM driver is it? I only updated the driver because there was a newer driver available and I was having issues with "N/A" on the offset setting in my acquisition program where it used to work fine.

I'll pay closer attention tonight and note any trouble I have with either a screen shot or description of the point where it hangs or disconnects.

I'm looking forward to using the smart histo (brain) to help me determine my sub exposure times or at least give me an idea. That's something I struggle with when I do actually manage to get out and image anything which is not very often it seems.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you are selecting '294MM' in the devices list then you are not using the ASCOM driver - the 294MM should appear in the 'ZWO ASI Cameras' section of the Cameras menu. In that case the version of the ASCOM driver you have installed should not affect how SharpCap talks to your camera.

If you are having issues with dropouts, freezes, lost frames, etc, check out our USB troubleshooting hints - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349&p=1556#p1556

cheers,

Robin
Dan Bryan

Post by Dan Bryan »

I looked over the USB settings and disabled the USB Selective Suspend. With that being the only change last evening I ran the analysis and everything went well. No hang or drop, at least there's no complaint from SC and I did end up with 2 separate files Mono16-46mp and Mono16-11mp.

Looks like I should run the same under Mono8 and that will give me 4 data files for the SH to reference.

I'm anxious to learn more about SC and try the brain tool. In general my guiding has been pretty good and at times I can pull a 900s sub with nice detail but figuring the best realistic exp time has been an issue for me in comparison to the mirrorless I started with. I do have an SQM-L I use to check the LP of my home location and using the measure tool in the SH will be interesting. It's been a rather slow road and I'm ready to get on with it :)

Thanks for your help and information.

Dan