Plate Solving Does Not Sync to 10Micron Mount

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
drblevy13

Plate Solving Does Not Sync to 10Micron Mount

Post by drblevy13 »

Hi Folks,

I have a 10Micron GM1000HPS with latest ASCOM drivers and SharpCap 4 Pro. I have tried plate solving with sync to mount, but it gives a sync error after successfully solving. I am using ASTAP, but same issue occurred with All Sky Plate Solver as well.

I can get the mount to sync with other programs (NINA, Model Creator and ASTAP), but would love to be able to use SharpCap as well.

Clear skies!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solving Does Not Sync to 10Micron Mount

Post by admin »

Hi,

can you please post your SharpCap log after a tried (and failed) attempt to plate sovle? Usually that contains all the info needed to work out what is going on. You may also find that you get better results using 'Offset to recenter' mode - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Config ... %20Solving

cheers,

Robin
drblevy13

Post by drblevy13 »

Here is log file from last night when it occurred.
Attachments
Log_2021-07-25T21_12_14-11516.log
(179.16 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it looks like everything is running OK from the SharpCap side, but the mount driver is giving an error on the sync command

Code: Select all

Info   	21:13:39.240954	#1 	Before Sync mount is at RA=18:37:39,Dec=+38:48:14																		in async Task<bool> SharpCap.ViewModels.PlateSolveAndResync.SolveImpl(bool gotFrame, string tmpFile, CancellationTokenSource tokenSource, IMount model, SizeF? imageSize)
Error  	21:13:39.570189	#1 	Sycing mount to RA=18:41:09,Dec=+39:50:20 : Exception of type 'DriverAccessCOMException' : SyncToTarget failed 
The message 'SyncToTarget failed' comes from the ASCOM driver, but unfortunately doesn't really help explain *why* it fails...

I suspect that this is down to some configuration choices in the mount ASCOM driver. I'm unfamiliar with the 10Micron mount, but for instance in EQMOD you can have either a simple sync setup (in which sync will work) or a more complex pointing model setup (in which it may not). Perhaps something similar?

It may be possible to make this work by adjusting the mount driver settings, or it may be best to use the 'offset to recenter' approach which avoids using the sync functionality.

cheers,

Robin
RazvanUnderStars

Post by RazvanUnderStars »

OP, the answer is probably in the ASCOM driver settings (see below). 10M mounts have a more sophisticated model of the telescope's flexure in various points of the sky so sync'ing is actually detrimental to the overall quality of tracking. As a 10M customer, you have access to the 10M forum where this is explained in more detailed by their staff at https://www.10micron.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=846.
10M ASCOM.png
10M ASCOM.png (137.23 KiB) Viewed 872 times