Sharpcap not finding my plate solver?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap not finding my plate solver?

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that error is coming from the plate solving engine and it means that the engine is not finding your index files for some reason. You may be able to fix this by tinkering with the contents of the backend.cfg file (in etc/astrometry), but it may be simpler just to re-do your Ansvr installation from scratch, keeping all the defaults for the index locations.

Robin
Monika

Post by Monika »

Hi Robin,

This worked! I uninstalled all previous index files, AstroTortilla, and Ansvr. I then reinstalled only Ansvr using this site https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/
and kept all default locations. I didn't bother to install Astrotorilla (to be honest I previously thought AstroTortilla was necessary to install Ansvr but I think this is incorrect). Is my plate solve now ready to use outside? Thank you!

Detection status now reads:
Manually configured Astrometry: Found at C:\Users\monik\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr
AstroTortilla: Not found
All Sky Plate Solver: Not found at C:\Users\monik\AppData\Local\Astrometry
Ansvr: Found at C:\Users\monik\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr
Cygwin/Astrometry based : Not found at C:\cygwin
Astap: Not found at c:\Program Files (x86)\Astap\Astap.exe

successful plate solve screenshot.png
successful plate solve screenshot.png (392.54 KiB) Viewed 739 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Monika,

looks like you are pretty much there - the only thing to check is the field-of-view that your imaging system will give - make sure you have the right index files to work at that field of view. I think the installer for Ansvr/Astrotortilla etc does give some guidance on this, so if you followed that you should be good to go!

cheers,

Robin
Monika

Post by Monika »

Hi Robin, yes i did check the field of view of my system and downloaded the right index files for this according to Ansvr (ie, index files ranging from 20% of your minimum FOV up to your maximum). Thanks so much for all your help, I am so appreciative!