Sensor Analysis

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
bluesilver

Sensor Analysis

Post by bluesilver »

Hi, i hope i have got this in the right section here.

I have just heard and come across what they call Sensor Analysis.
Basically it helps you to select the correct exposure time and ISO settings for a given imaging object, ( I hope i have got that part correct )

What i would like to know is, dose this work with a DSLR ?
Or do i need a dedicated Astronomy camera for this to work?

I have a Canon EOS 600D and a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED scope, I was thinking of trying this out next time we get a clear night.

I t appears that all you have to do is select Tools - Histogram - click the brain - enter the minimum and maximum exposure times and then click apply.

I should also put a note here that i am currently using version 3.2.6480 with the license.
I have now only just noticed that there is a version 4.0 available.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis

Post by admin »

Hi,

the analysis does work with DSLR cameras using the ASCOM.DSLR driver, but is not always able to complete successfully - this is because it takes a large number of exposures to complete the analysis and the ASCOM.DSLR driver can sometimes disconnect randomly during the process.

You would be better off using SharpCap 4.0 and putting the camera into still mode (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Live%2 ... ill%20Mode) - this works much better with cameras with physical shutters like DSLR cameras and also reduces the number of frames that need to be captured for the analysis to work.

I have seen results for the 600D from the analysis and the read noise levels were roughly:

ISO RN
100 13.6
200 7.0
400 4.0
800 2.7
1600 2.4
3200 2.2
6400 2.0

To me, these results indicate that this camera should be used at ISO 800-1600 in most cases, and you should avoid ISO 100 and 200 like the plague.

cheers,

Robin
bluesilver

Post by bluesilver »

Hi, Thanks for the reply and also apologize for the long time in replying.
If i download SharpCap 4.0, do i have to re register to get the license again or will it just continue one like it has been when i have been doing the updates to the 3.2 version?

I take it most of the options are very similar to what i have been using in the 3.2 version like the polar align routine?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

your current SharpCap Pro license will work in SharpCap 4.0 - no need to re-purchase. All of the existing features in 3.2 can still be found in SC 4.0 - there have been some slight changes (for instance to the way that star detection is configured in polar alignment/focusing/stacking), but those shouldn't take long to adjust to.

cheers,

Robin
bluesilver

Post by bluesilver »

Thanks again for the reply, appreciated.
Good to know i can upgrade to the new 4.0 version, will definitely try this out.
Appreciated.