Can't figure out how to set up focuser in Sharpcap

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
psy1280

Can't figure out how to set up focuser in Sharpcap

Post by psy1280 »

Would someone be kind enough to explain how to set up a ZWO EAF focuser in SharpCap? I've downloaded the ASCOM drivers and platform and CPWI...however, I"ve read that these should be downloaded in sequence (is this necessary?). In the Sharpcap settings I selected ZWO focuser (1), but I don't see any option to use the focuser anywhere in Sharpcap. I"m new to all this...so any detailed instructions to get my focuser to SharpCap will be most appreciated.

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't figure out how to set up focuser in Sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi Joe,

It sounds like you have set up the focuser in the settings, but just in case : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Hardware%20Tab

Once that is done, open your camera and you will find there is a focuser control in amongst the other camera controls - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Focuser%20Control

You should then look at the sections on assisted/automatic focusing : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Focusing

Hope this helps,

Robin
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Perfect! Thanks so much Robin
SteveSD

Post by SteveSD »

I installed a ZWO EAF yesterday. I also installed Ascom Platform and the focuser driver specified on the ZWO website. The focuser still doesn't show up in Ascom Platform - I keep getting an error message. Since it didn't show up in Ascom I wasn't surprised that it didn't show up in Sharpcap either. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks so much - I'd love to get this resolved.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

can you post info on the error message that you get please? A full SharpCap log would also help (let SharpCap start and then capture the log - focusers are detected during startup).

cheers,

Robin
SteveSD

Post by SteveSD »

I got the ZWO EAF focuser to work in Sharpcap. I still get the error message in Ascom Platform but I don't think that matters as long as I can control it in SC.

I did notice one odd thing tho. When I first set the focuser up in SC I was able to set a 0 - 60,000 range. But the first time I actually used it the range had changed itself to 0 - 30,000. When I tried to re-do the setup to restore the 0-60,000 it wouldn't take it. Wondering what happened...

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't have an EAF myself, so cannot test what is going on with the maximum range of movement setting. I can see from the online manual for the EAF that it looks like you can set the maximum range in the focuser setup window. Changes made here should be remembered the next time you open the setup window and be reflected in SharpCap (SharpCap will ask for the maximum each time you connect to the focuser). If the value is not remembered in the setup window then that sounds like a bug/limitation in the EAF Ascom driver.

cheers,

Robin
SteveSD

Post by SteveSD »

Update - Issue resolved. So another dumb example of inattention...Going to the focuser "Settings" in Sharpcap brings up a ZWO box. At the bottom left of that box there is a radio button for "Advanced". There are only a few settings in Advanced, but one of them specifies the maximum travel. I had apparently set that to 30000. Resetting it to 60000 resolved the issue. I knew something was off because I was aware that the default range of the EAF was 0 - 60000.

Thanks again for getting me back to the basics !!

Steve