CPWI changing camera settings

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
psy1280

CPWI changing camera settings

Post by psy1280 »

I was going to use CPWI to manually align, while testing it this morning I found that once I set up the CPWI to do an alignment, and then switched to SharpCap, my camera’s were no longer listed as, ZWO294, etc., they were listed as ASCOM cameras. A Sharpcap note popped up saying ASCOM cameras would lose some functionality. I tried to rescan the cameras in order to try to restore the original (ZWO settings), closed out CPWI, but the Sharpcap cameras still were showing ASCOM cameras. Only after rebooting my laptop was I able to restore my original camera settings (zwo294, zwo 120).

I’m wondering if CPWI is not a good idea when using SharpCap?

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Re: CPWI changing camera settings

Post by admin »

Hi Joe,

sounds like the camera lost USB connection with the computer.

You normally pick your camera from the 'ZWO cameras' section of the cameras menu - the items there only show up when the appropriate camera is plugged in. SharpCap monitors for notifications about USB devices being added/removed and updates the menu to match.

The ASCOM cameras section of the menu is slightly different - the items listed there show up all the time (even if the camera is not plugged in). If it's not plugged in then you will get an error when you try to open one of those entries.

The fact that the camera vanished from the ZWO section makes it seem likely that the USB connection had dropped, Windows sends out a notification to SharpCap that a USB device has been removed, SharpCap re-checks what ZWO cameras are plugged in and the ZWO software says 'none!', so the menu items vanish. If you look in the SharpCap log, you will see lines like

Code: Select all

Processed hardware change removal event for \\?\USB#VID_F266&PID_9A0A#5&31b9d28b&0&2#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed} (SVBONY USB Camera)
(Although obviously it will likely be a ZWO camera removed, not an SVBony one!).

Of course, what caused the USB disconnection is the real question... That shouldn't be caused by using CPWI software, but it could happen if the mount movement dislodged a USB cable slightly. A brief glitch in USB power could crash the camera, which would not recover until the reboot cut the power for longer to allow it to reboot?

cheers,

Robin
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Appreciate your prompt reply Robin. I shall continue to experiment with CPWI.

It's a great comfort knowing you're at the SharpCap Forum helm.

Joe
Noah4x4

Post by Noah4x4 »

Robin's suggestion about investigating a USB drop out is wise. But do ensure all of your settings are correct and ASCOM up to date. You might be using native ZWO drivers, but you still need ASCOM installed. But more about USB....

CPWI and Sharpcap works great with my ZWO ASI294 and Atik Horizon. However, you need solid USB connections. I had loads of problems with too long USB cable, 'Active' cables and powered hubs. The specification for USB3 is incredibly short and voltage drops fast along cable length. 3M is about the limit.

To resolve this, find a wireless or cat 6+ solution. What I do is put an Intel NUC at the scope running Windows 10 Pro, Sharpcap and CPWI (also my focuser software). That is wirelesslessly networked to another PC indoors. I remotely control that at the scope from that indoors using Remote Desktop. This means all my cables are short and my connections reliable. You can similarly do this with Ethernet cable. But USB3 beyond 3 metres is at best flaky. USB2 limit is about 5M before voltages drop fast .
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Thanks Noah, I'll be looking into some of the options you mentioned. I know many have turned to ASIair...for now I'll be sticking with my active cable until I decide.

Joe