Imaging Setup

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
mike shuter

Imaging Setup

Post by mike shuter »

I've made an adapter which attaches to the rear of a Canon EOS lens and takes a 1¼" eyepiece. I can now use my 18/50 mm & 75/300 mm with an Altair 224 camera. Is this a viable imaging setup to live stack nebula or would I be better using a 220 mm sight scope with the Altair 224?
Any help & advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Imaging Setup

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

yep, that could work - remember to ensure that you have maximum aperture when using camera lenses (quite a lot open up to maximum unless the camera body sends a command to reduce aperture, but worth checking).

With your 18-55 you should get some useful field of views from that camera.

Note that if the distance to the camera sensor does not match that for the DSLR then you may need to adjust the focus if you change the zoom (basically without the same distance to the sensor your lens will be 'varifocal' rather than 'zoom').

cheers,

Robin
mike shuter

Re: Imaging Setup

Post by mike shuter »

Thanks Robin for your speedy reply. Nice to know that I don't need to buy another scope. If I change the zoom, re focusing is required but that's no
big problem. At the moment I'm using the Altair 224 for guiding whilst taking 5 min. exposures with a DSLR so I'm hoping that with shorter exposure times using the Altair will negate the need to guide. If all this works out OK I'll try my 170/500 lens.

Regards,

Mike.