neutral settings for capturing

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
jeruss

neutral settings for capturing

Post by jeruss »

Wish to know best settings in sharpcap for getting the most "raw images". Have been told white balance should be set to 50. What about brightness, should it be set to zero? Are there other settings that affect the "rawness" of the images. Would setting everyone to auto be the best? I have a zwo 294 osc camera. Thanks.
VPR

Re: neutral settings for capturing

Post by VPR »

I am running a ZWO 1600MC Pro camera. Here is what my experimentation has shown.

SharpCap’s Image Control Tab – White Balance (R) and (B) settings, control the Camera’s individual ch gains. Changing this affects the ‘RAW’ data output by the camera. So, when the RAW data reaches SharpCap, it has already been modified by this setting (was not expecting this for the RAW format :o ).

I have now removed the ‘Auto’ setting from both White Balance (R) and (B) in all Profiles. On this camera, the settings of 53-68 produce all four histogram’s to lineup. The results now are more consistent and producing natural color - much easer to process. Even the setting of 50-50 was a lot better than 'Auto'.

The Brightness setting controls the Black Point. You want the data to start just to the right of the vertical left axis. On my camera, Brightness = 5.

One more thing: when changing from ‘Auto’ to something like 50-50 (in my case 53-68) the main Gain will also need to be changed. Again, this is for the ZWO 1600MC. Not sure how the ZWO 294 will act.

Hope this help,
V.P
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

The "default" settings for the ASI294MC Pro are: red 50, blue 50 and brightness 30. These are values I found when you use Zwo capture software and then use the Default settings there.

Menno
jeruss

Post by jeruss »

Thank you both for the replies