ASI2600MC Pro: Lessening the gap between AP and Live Viewing

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
umasscrew39

ASI2600MC Pro: Lessening the gap between AP and Live Viewing

Post by umasscrew39 »

Given the newer technology in CMOS cameras like the ZWO ASI2600 and ASI533, I did a simple comparison with M27 since I actually had a small window of above average seeing and transparency. I noticed almost immediately that the noise was amazingly low and that images could be very good with no darks or flats) as well as the plethora of options available to post-process. Here is an example of how the newer CMOS cameras are blurring the distinction of EAA and AP. Both images were captured using SharpCap with a C11" EdgeHD @ f/7 and Optolong L-eNhance filter.

The first image is 1 hour integration (stacking) from 120s sub-exposures which was pre- (darks, flats, dark flats, no bias) and post-processed (noise reduction, contrast enhancement, etc) using PixInsight. The second is a single 120s exposure that was only debayered, no other pre- or post-processing.
M27.jpg
M27.jpg (445.82 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Single M27.jpg
Single M27.jpg (221.22 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
oopfan

Re: ASI2600MC Pro: Lessening the gap between AP and Live Viewing

Post by oopfan »

That's remarkable, Bruce. I do prefer the stacked image but if you compare the amount of work to achieve and necessary expertise to make it happen, I can see how attractive the bottom image can be for many people, although achieving a quality 120s exposure isn't easy without a really good mount. Have you tried a single 60s exposure?
umasscrew39

Re: ASI2600MC Pro: Lessening the gap between AP and Live Viewing

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Brian

I also like the stacked image better and when I do a few more hours, it should really stand out. It is a tradeoff like you state but the single shot with these newer cameras are very impressive. No- I did not try 60s but good point. I'll try it and 45s next time out.

Bruce