Is my train out of alignment?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
Menno555

Is my train out of alignment?

Post by Menno555 »

The first image on viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2776 shows flat capture. And it has a big bright circle where the light hits.
I did notice that too on my flats and I presumed that it was caused by the train from my scope to the camera being out of alignment.
But I see it on this image too now. Is this a normal something?

Thanks
Menno
umasscrew39

Re: Is my train out of alignment?

Post by umasscrew39 »

The link goes to another post- not your image.

Also, what type of scope do you have and can you describe the setup?
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

umasscrew39 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:50 am The link goes to another post- not your image.
That is correct: the first image in that post shows exactly the same as what I have. A bright circle that is shifted towards 1 side/corner with black around it. I thought that is/was because of misalignment of my train. But seeing the same there made me wonder if it just a normal thing.
umasscrew39 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:50 am Also, what type of scope do you have and can you describe the setup?
Yes, ofcourse.
Scope is a Meade LX65 8" f/10 ACF with attached an Optec Lepus Standard 0.62 reducer. Then spacers and adapter to camera. In total I have the 105mm from reducer to sensor that Optec is instructing for the reducer. The camera is a Zwo ASI385MC

Menno
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks for the clarification and updated info, that helps. I would first check your collimation with and without the reducer on to see if the reducer is contributing to the problem. Catadioptric telescopes, like my C11" EdgeHD, need to have very good collimation or can get funny looking light entry into the scope. If that is fine, recheck your focus and backfocus. This is also a pattern you can see with a stuck filter wheel but it looks like you are not using one. Hopefully, checking these two things will identify the problem to fix.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Feel a bit stupid that I didn't think of trying it without reducer .... so going to do that for sure :)