SC subs - internal OR external calibration?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
donstim

Re: SC subs - internal OR external calibration?

Post by donstim »

turfpit wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:22 am

For me, a practical use of the Live Stack process is when working with astronomy clubs or educational/public gatherings where a quick result is desirable over higher quality.

Dave
Or, you are doing EAA to to view an object otherwise unviewable and are not interested in spending hours capturing data and further hours processing data for AP!! :D
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Don,

Dave and I solve that problem you mention by ensuring that we can see the DSO in a single stretched frame. QED.

Brian
donstim

Post by donstim »

Gee, Brian, and here I thought you and Dave eschewed live stacking because you were interested in "quality" over a "quick result." :lol:

All kidding aside, I am simply trying to point out that there are more practical uses for SharpCap's live stacking than simply astronomy clubs or public gatherings. There are plenty of us who us it for our own personal EAA imaging or to share with friends.
Last edited by donstim on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Here you go Don. Live Stack 90x15s, cropped the stacking artefacts and the dreaded bright star 14Vul. No other processing.
No darks, flats or bias. :D
Captured while waiting for M27 to get higher in the sky. First public showing - enjoy!

Stack_16bits_90frames_1350s.jpg
Stack_16bits_90frames_1350s.jpg (275.16 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Dave
donstim

Post by donstim »

I'm sorry, Dave, but I seriously don't know why you're showing me this, nor why you seemed to make a point of not using darks, flats, or bias. Live stacking actually has provisions for those and in my case, they are usually needed unless the object being imaged is very small.

It is a nice shot, though, although I would argue that this subject would be better shown in color.

While for you it may have been a throway capture while you were waiting for it to get higher in the sky, that is the type of "imaging" I (and others) do all the time. And I am really grateful that SharpCap and knowledgeable people like you make it all possible.