Will manual dithering work?

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
Menno555

Will manual dithering work?

Post by Menno555 »

My setup is unguided and it really doesn't need it: I can tweak my Ioptron CEM25EC to virtual still, even with my small FOV of 0.29° x 0.17°.
But last night did a session of 300 x 35 seconds and there is a lot of background noise/pattern. No streaks but a kind of ripple/small wave effect.
Not with the Live Stack feature because it never worked for me: there are just not enough stars in view. Only after processing those come up.
But this is either because my camera is not-cooled or because I do not dither. Most likely because of a combination of those ;)
But wouldn't a kind of manual dithering help? Like doing 5 captures, pause, slew the scope a tiny fraction, capture, slew, and so on.
Here a small exaggerated example of the pattern I get.

ripple.jpg
ripple.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
diant

Re: Will manual dithering work?

Post by diant »

Menno555 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 pm But wouldn't a kind of manual dithering help?
Of course. It can help a lot (300 subs conceal a great possibility), if dithering region (i.e. dithering distance in all directions) will be properly large as compared with your green and red blots.
Menno555 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 pm Live Stack feature because it never worked for me: there are just not enough stars in view.
Did you try Digital Gain in "Alignment" tab? For example "8x"...
I use 1-sec subs in Bortle 9+ condition and there are enough stars usually, even far from Milky Way.
Anton
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Okay, will try the manual dithering.
And yes, there are enough stars but I have a slow f/10 telescope, with reducer f/7. And there are just not enough bright stars in my FOV, even with a high gain. After processing there are plenty though:)
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Okay, tried it last night and it works :)
Thanx!