Streaks in my image

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
psy1280

Re: Streaks in my image

Post by psy1280 »

Diant,
I can’t thank you enough for the detailed process you've supplied.
A few questions if you don’t mind.
1.) I’m not exactly sure in #6 when you say, “…not very large value…” What would be an example of a large value vs. a not large value?
2.) In #8 you say that I can move the star. Since I haven’t tried this, I’m assuming you need to move the star to keep it in the crosshairs? Is that correct?
3.) In #9 you say to return the star to the crossline. Does this mean the star has drifted away from the crossline and you have to bring it back? And once you have it back, you do a small “deliberate error.” Could you explain this further. Do you mean that you need to take the star off of the crossline a bit and then release the “pause” button at that time (i.e., after you’ve moved it off of the crossline?)
4.) When (#10) you release the pause button, do you resume live stacking? And, if so, while you’re live stacking is that when you watch for the drift at the “Drift Graph” tab? Not sure if I understand this part. And what do you do if you do see drift?
5.) Do you do this entire procedure once or periodically through out the live capture?

Again, thank you for walking me through this process.
Joe
diant

Post by diant »

psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm 1.) I’m not exactly sure in #6 when you say, “…not very large value…” What would be an example of a large value vs. a not large value?
We (you and I) have different scale (arcsec per pixel) and different CMOS sensor, so we have different “…not very large value…”.
But this value should be picked up on practice. I've tried to evaluate your “…not very large value…” (SC8, HS, and 294MC as you wrote?) and can advise as start value some around 40 point on the "Drift Graph".
The more this value - the more edges you will spoiled. You'll see it yourself.
This value (briefly) is the distance that you allow your chosen star to run away from the crossline at.
Your scale is around 2,5" per pixel. This means that 40 point converted to 100" of star's shifting in all directions.
So you will spoiled around 100" of edges on your final picture.
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm 2.) In #8 you say that I can move the star. Since I haven’t tried this, I’m assuming you need to move the star to keep it in the crosshairs? Is that correct?
Yes.
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm 3.) In #9 you say to return the star to the crossline. Does this mean the star has drifted away from the crossline and you have to bring it back?
Yes.
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm And once you have it back, you do a small “deliberate error.” Could you explain this further. Do you mean that you need to take the star off of the crossline a bit and then release the “pause” button at that time (i.e., after you’ve moved it off of the crossline?)
Exactly!
I can speak more. When you repeat such action several times you will see on "Drift Graph" all moving tracks of your chosen star during your session. It will be look as a square field streaked by this star's trails...
Let us suppose that your chose 40 as “…not very large value…”. So your square field will be measured as 80x80 (40 in all direction from center ie. from crossline).
And your "task" (or your "game" if you will) will be - to streak it (your square field) with chosen star's trails as more evenly as you can. This will eliminate streaks on your final stack image.
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm 4.) When (#10) you release the pause button, do you resume live stacking?
Of course.
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm And, if so, while you’re live stacking is that when you watch for the drift at the “Drift Graph” tab?
Excuse me my English, but I can't understand this phrase.
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm And what do you do if you do see drift?
When you "watch for the drift at the Drift Graph tab" live stacking goes on (continue to add image to stack) and all you need is to look after chosen star shifting from the center (ie. from the crossline). When its shifting reach your “…not very large value…” you need to stop Live Stacking (press Pause) and return the star back (but not exactly on crossline or even on previous trails).
psy1280 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm 5.) Do you do this entire procedure once or periodically through out the live capture?
Periodically, of course. And the more iterations you do (with dithering) - the more even your picture will be.
Smoothness of image's background achieved by uniform filling your square field at "Drift Graph" tab by chosen star's trails. This is the key!
Anton
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Diant and everyone

Thank you all, I have plenty to work with now. I'll check back with future attempts to resolve this issue

Joe
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

Diant,
Unfortunately, I haven’t had much time to work on this (I work most evenings and then there’s the clouds). Hopefully, I’ll get a chance tonight.

The last time I was out, however, I couldn’t figure out the drift graph. I set the reticule on a bright star, clicked the ‘drift graph’ tab (really didn’t know what I was seeing…should I be looking at the left hand graph with the horizontal line?) Also, I didn’t feel the graph was displaying the star that I selected in with the reticule. How does the drift graph know what star you’ve chosen? Saying this differently, does simply placing the reticule on a star communicate this to the drift graph?

As you can see, I’m quite confused. Do you know of any tutorial on using the drift graph tool (I didn’t get much information from the manual). Your method makes sense, however, applying what you say seems beyond my level of experience. This would make a great Youtube video!!!

Any further instructions would be much appreciated, I’m sorry to be so confused with this.

Joe