Saving sky limited exposure calculations

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
GregL

Saving sky limited exposure calculations

Post by GregL »

I find the 'brain' sky limited exposure calculator helpful -- just two small points.

1. when it asks to point to a dark area of the field, there doesn't appear to be any way of doing this. I have tried picking a spot or drawing a frame but nothing seems to happen. It goes ahead and does something, the results of which seem reasonable... but.

2. I love the display of measured and calculated values, but it would be nice if there was some way to save this information for use later. Using multiple screen captures is a real pain.

3. When it proposes an exposure strategy -- so many images at an exposure time, pressing the button activates the values. But nothing shows that this has happened, one has to close the calculator and look. And acknowledgement of what has happened would be nice.

thanks,

greg latiak
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving sky limited exposure calculations

Post by admin »

Hi,

You should be able to select a small area of the current frame in the same way that you can for other tools by clicking on the selection area button in the toolbar which brings up a red rectangle over the image that you can then move and resize.

Although you can't save the exact values of the sky brightness for reuse later, you can actually use the drop down in the brain window to pick a value of sky brightness like five electrons per pixel per second if you happen to know that that is a typical brightness for your sky rather than waiting for the measurement to complete.

Cheers, Robin
GregL

Re: Saving sky limited exposure calculations

Post by GregL »

Thanks.

I will try that select process again next time the sky clears. But the thing I was asking about is a way to save the calculations that are so nicely displayed in those graphs. I know the end values are set in the software and will be in the camera settings report in 'capture'. But for future reference it would be nice if the path not taken could be saved somehow.

greg