Plate solving using SkySafari

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
umasscrew39

Plate solving using SkySafari

Post by umasscrew39 »

I currently control my AP1100 mount using SkySafari to slew and align (sync). Can I use plate solving in SC to confirm where I am at? I tried it last night right before I called it a evening and it looked like it was working but then got 2 errors two different time: 1) too few stars or 2) try lowering the sigma value. I called it a night but before I try again, can the even work? I got thinking maybe this only works using the AP ASCOM driver with SC but I am now confusing myself. Would appreciate any input on the question and how plate solving works in SC.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate solving using SkySafari

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap has two sorts of plate solving.

1) from the tools menu. This will try to do a blind plate solve over the whole sky of the next frame captured. It won't do anything with the results of the plate solve other than show the calculated RA/dec in the notification bar.

2) from the button in the mount control area. This will do a plate solve over a limited area (within 15° of the current mount position) and then synchronise the mount to the solved position. This requires that SharpCap is talking to your mount via an Ascom driver.

Hope this clarifies things, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Perfect explanation - thank you.
thierry

Re: Plate solving using stellarium

Post by thierry »

Good morning,

i have an issue with my SC pro version
i want to do plate solving
i use stellarium with stellarium scope to slew to target

but when i start SC and connect my guide caméra i have a message that mount is not recognized
then when i click on tools/plate solve/ i have a error message : 'not enough stars" or something stating i have not more than 1 starts detected
my sigma is at 10

i do have any mount control on my screen when i open SC and looking at all folders can't locate it either
thanks for help

Thierry

PS : forgot to say that i use SC to polar align : works perfect .
and ascom connection is recognized as well by stellarium, PHD 2 that i use to guide the mount
chongo228

Re: Plate solving using stellarium

Post by chongo228 »

thierry wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 am Good morning,

but when i start SC and connect my guide caméra i have a message that mount is not recognized
then when i click on tools/plate solve/ i have a error message : 'not enough stars" or something stating i have not more than 1 starts detected
my sigma is at 10

i do have any mount control on my screen when i open SC and looking at all folders can't locate it either
thanks for help
I'm not at my laptop but sigma 10 sounds low. You are adjusting it under the file/plate solving tab in the top menu?

If you have a image stretched with the display histo it might look like you have enough starts but you really don't. I use All Sky Plate solver. A two second display stretched image looks good to me but is way to dark for ASPS. I usually do arount 8-12 seconds with a gain of 150-200. What you are seeing isn't what the plate solve program can see....it's looking at the raw data.

I think the PA tool plate solve can detect the display stretch and uses that....so it can solve with a two second exposure but the third part programs can't. - Robin can correct me if i'm wrong.
DanK

Post by DanK »

Hi Robin:
Your two fold answer could help me with solving the conundrum I have reached with using SC for plate solving. Namely the mount control area to have it slew to the desired location upon plate solving.

The missing element is taking a photo of the area my scope happens to be pointing to. Is this automatic or do I trigger the snap shot and if so how is this done and where is it stored? Thank you for an excellent, affordable product. I will renew my licence in a few weeks prior to my deadline!

Sincerely,

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

In both cases, the images taken automatically – you set up the camera to show a reasonable number of stars in each frame and then the next frame after you press the plate solving button will be used for the plate solving procedure.

Hope that makes sense, Robin
DanK

Post by DanK »

Hi Robin:

Just got it. I have to connect SC to the camera and the mount. Once the mount is connected the Mount Control Panel at the very bottom right hand side, becomes available...Dropping down the mount control panel makes other features available such as "plate solve and sync" ...Very nice!

I will connect my EXOS-2 mounts in POTH and the EQR6-PRO in EQMOD/EQASCOM...including planetarium programs

Looking forward to using more of SCs tools, especially now with plate solve. I rely on SC for very easy polar alignment with excellent results.

Sincerely,

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Good to hear that you are making progress. :)

Cheers, Robin